Doctor insights on:
How Long Can A Person Survive After Being Diagnosed With Cirrhosis Of The Liver
Years: Depending on the cause of cirrhosis, whether that cause is eliminated (e.g. Alcohol intake is stopped), and how much synthetic function is left in the liver, the patient could live from hours to years. Regulating fluid and salt intake is important, and avoiding infections is crucial. Further, if the person qualifies for transplant and is transplanted, they could live a decade or more, depending. ...Read more
This organ plays a major role in metabolism and has a number of functions in the body, including glycogen storage, decomposition of red blood cells, plasma protein synthesis, hormone production, and detoxification. It lies below the diaphragm in the abdominal-pelvic region of the abdomen. It produces bile, an alkaline compound which aids in digestion via the emulsification of ...Read more
A long time: Cirrhosis means scarring of the liver. Patients can live over ten years with cirrhosis as long as they do not have other complications like liver cancer, GI bleeding or encephalopathy or peritonitis. Once one has a complication from cirrhosis, they are defined as decompensated cirrhosis and often have an average life-expectancy of 2 years or less. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
How long can a person with cirrhosis of the liver and mild hepatic encephalopathy live if transplant is not an option due to advanced age (80 yrs)?
Depends on MELD: Difficult to estimate survival in patients with cirrhosis until their meld or child's score becomes elevated. If one's meld score is high, mortality in the next 3months is high. Otherwise it is very difficult to predict. Follow closely with your physician so that symptoms of cirrhosis can be managed. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
How long can a person with cirrhosis of the liver and mild hepatic encephalopathy live if transplant is not an option ?
I did a search for diagnosis of some of my symptoms and came up with cirrhosis of the liver. What do doctors look for to diagnose it?
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long can a person live after being diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver?
- How can a person have cirrhosis of the liver if he is not a drinker or drug user?
- How long can a person survive with ovarian cancer?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long can a person survive with kidney failure?
- How long can a person live after diagnosis of aids?
- How long can a person live with fluid on the lungs?
- How long a person can live with liver failure?
- Talk to a hepatologist online for free