Doctor insights on:
How Long After You Stop Drinking Alcohol Can You Begin Campral
Alcohol is available in many beverages, from beer and wine to the more potent distilled spirits, such as gin, rye, and whiskey. There appear to be at least small health benefits of small amounts of alcohol use (fewer than five drinks per week), especially of red wine Excessive alcohol use can lead to addiction and severe social and physical complications. Excess long term alcohol use is the most common cause of cirrhosis of the ...Read more
Variable: There is not a simple answer for this question. Many people with alcoholism have been -using alcohol to self medicate anxiety, depression or other conditions. In that situation, detoxification will help rid the brain/body of toxins but will not resolve underlying mental health conditions. Anxiety symptoms may be more prominent as they are no longer being covered up by alcohol. ...Read more
Yes, but...: Only to a certain point...Since it appears that cirrhosis, once established is irreversible...Though progression can be halted. ...Read more
Yes: Particularly disulfiram, which if the person actually takes it, has a very high rate of success. Acamprosate and Naltrexone both, in several studies, double the number of people who remain sober at 6 months, and increase the amount of time to relapse. The problem with all these meds, esp Antabuse, is that people are not prescribed them, and if they are, don't take them. Counseling still needed. ...Read more
Consult a specialist: It can be very dangerous to stop suddenly if you've been drinking a long time. If you experience hand tremors, sweats, or other physical withdrawal symptoms when you stop drinking, the risks include withdrawal seizure, blood pressure spike, or other potentially medically dangerous complications. Get a free or low cost assessment at a treatment program, where detox meds can be givenalco if needed. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How can you stop red flush after you drink alcohol?
- How fast can you lose weight after you stop drinking alcohol?
- How long after antibiotics can you drink alcohol?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long after breast augmentation can you drink alcohol?
- How long after drinking alcohol can you take xanax?
- How long after last antibiotic can you drink alcohol?
- How long after an appendectomy can you drink alcohol?
- Talk to an addiction specialist online for free