Doctor insights on:
How Long After Open Heart Surgery Does It Take The Sternum To Heal Completely
Six weeks: Six weeks if routine and no complications. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Open intervention on the heart to correct congenital cardiac anomalies, repair replace heart valves, ascending aortic dissection repair, coronary bypass, heart transplant, surgical removal of heart tumors, ventricular assist devices, cox maze procedures to cure atrial fibrillation, repair of trauma to the heart. Repair of iatrogenic injuries to heart, heart-lung ...Read more
After open heart surgery what are some challanges people usually face with a broken sternum? I just want to know what to expect
Limit use of arms: There is so much you do with your arms without thinking. You push off with hands on thighs to stand. You use arms to adjust yourself in chair or bed. All of this puts pressure on sternum. I limit patients to 10 lb 6 wks then 25 lb for another 6 weeks. And no pushing or pulling for 3 months. Coughing and sneezing can be uncomfortable also. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
After open heart surgery i want to punch my heavy bag for excercise. I know it will put a lot of pressure on my sternum. It has been twenty weeks ?
OK: Your sternum has healed to almost full strength. You can start a punching bag routine. You will probably develop some chest wall or muscle pain as you start the exercise - because you haven't used your muscles to this extent since the operation. Listen to your body and start gradually and workup to the level that you performed prior to surgery. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Possibly: Scar tissue stays numb. Particularly if an artery in your chest (the left internal mammary artery) was harvested as part of your surgery, you can expect numbness for many months. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Hi i'm getting open heart surgery in 2 months i'm wondering if there is anyway they won't have to break my sternum? Will i lose muscle after surgery?
Yes depends on type: For instance mitral valve repair, atrial septal defect repair can be performed via small incision on the right side of chest and aortic valve replacement can be performed via small incision at the top of the chest. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
My mom had open heart surgery in may but continues to have pain all around the area and the doctors say it's her sternum is it possible
Chest pain: Absolutely. The sternum was cut opened and it is likely going to remain tender and sore for sometime. Your mother should follow her surgeon's recommendations and rest assured it is normal. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- HealthTap gives you access to top U.S. certified doctors
- Our doctors are checked, verified and board certified
- Get personalized help and answers directly from the doctor
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long does it take to heal after hernia surgery?
- How long does it take to heal after breast reduction surgery?
- How long does a broken arm take to heal completely after surgery?
- How long does it take to recover from open heart surgery?
- How long does it take to heal after gallbladder surgery?
- How long does it take to heal up after back fusion surgery?
- How long does it take a broken blood vessel in the eye to heal?
- How long does it take for cuts on the face to heal?
- Talk to a cardiologist online for free