Doctor insights on:
How Long After Open Heart Surgery Does It Take The Sternum To Heal Completely
After open heart surgery what are some challanges people usually face with a broken sternum? I just want to know what to expect
Limit use of arms: There is so much you do with your arms without thinking. You push off with hands on thighs to stand. You use arms to adjust yourself in chair or bed. All of this puts pressure on sternum. I limit patients to 10 lb 6 wks then 25 lb for another 6 weeks. And no pushing or pulling for 3 months. Coughing and sneezing can be uncomfortable also. ...Read moreGet help from a doctor now ›
After open heart surgery i want to punch my heavy bag for excercise. I know it will put a lot of pressure on my sternum. It has been twenty weeks ?
OK: Your sternum has healed to almost full strength. You can start a punching bag routine. You will probably develop some chest wall or muscle pain as you start the exercise - because you haven't used your muscles to this extent since the operation. Listen to your body and start gradually and workup to the level that you performed prior to surgery. ...Read moreGet help from a doctor now ›
My mom had open heart surgery in may but continues to have pain all around the area and the doctors say it's her sternum is it possible
How long does it take for ones chest to heal from open heart surgery? And how long does it take to fully recover?
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long does it take to heal after hernia surgery?
- How long does it take to heal after breast reduction surgery?
- How long does a broken arm take to heal completely after surgery?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long does it take to heal after gallbladder surgery?
- How long does it take to heal up after back fusion surgery?
- How long does it take for a pinched nerve to heal after surgery?
- How long does it take for a heart surgery scar to heal?
- Talk to a cardiologist online