Doctor insights on:
How Long After A Hip Replacement Does It Take To Be Free Of Pain
Total hip replacement: surgery in which the diseased ball and socket of the hip joint are completely removed and replaced with artificial materials. A metal ball with a stem (a prosthesis) is inserted into the femur (thigh bone) and an artificial plastic cup socket is placed in the acetabulum (a "cup-shaped" ...Read more
Depends: It varies from patient to patient. Some patients have very little pain after a month, while some patients have pain for many months. Most patients continue to get improvement in their outcomes, up to 1 year out from surgery. ...Read more
2-3 days: Some stay longer in rehab.Get a more detailed answer ›
Don't run: Depending on a number of factors including the surgical approach used, whether the leg was lengthened and differences among patients you can expect to have some limp for several months after hip replacement surgery. These replacements were not made for the impact of running and i strongly advise my patients to avoid those types of impact activities which will shorten implant life. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Depends on age...: Someone in their fifties may 'fully' recover from hip replacement surgery as early as 6-8 wks. ( esp. W/ anterior exposure technique). Older patients who have 'traditional ' hip replacement surgery may take 2-4 months to ' fully' recover, or longer depending on various factors... Gl! ...Read more
Varies by patient: Everybody recovers at their own pace after a total hip replacement. The direct anterior approach does minimize trauma from surgery. "wonderful" implies full recovery- may take 3 months. Acute healing phase is 2-3 weeks. Do not try to overdo in the first 6 weeks, but gradual resumption of activities is encouraged. Talk to your orthopaedic surgeon if you have specific activity related questions. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Hip replacement surgery how long does it take
- How long do i exercise to be pain free after a knee replacement?
- How long will you be on pain medication after total hip replacement?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long it takes to recover from hip replacement?
- How long will i be in the hospital after hip replacement?
- How long does a total hip replacement last?
- How long does a hip replacement typically last?
- Talk to a orthopedic reconstructive surgeon online for free