Doctor insights on:
How Is Viral Gastroenteritis Treated
Usually with time...: Most cases of viral gastroenteritis are mild, self-limited, and not life threatening. These resolve on their own with supportive care (drink fluids to prevent dehydration, eat moderately as tolerated, as needed analgesia). In special cases (newborns, elderly, debilitated) hospitalization may be required to provide IV fluids and to support co-morbid medical conditions. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
GI sx's: Start w clear liquid like water, slightly flattened soda that is clear, or sports hydration drinks. Sip, sip, sip. Work up to solids w bland foods like bananas, rice, applesauce, toast, gelatin, or chicken. Avoid alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, dairy & high fat foods. Rest. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Stomach bug: Viral gastroenteritis is medical lingo for a stomach bug. The virus attaches to the cells of the GI tract causing it to increase secretion or inhibit absorption leading to vomiting diarrhea. It tends to be very infectious ANS spreads through areas of close contacts. Good handwashing is a must. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How is viral gastroenteritis diagnosed?
- How is viral meningitis treated?
- Treatment of viral gastroenteritis
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Viral gastroenteritis in infants
- Viral gastroenteritis fever
- Viral gastroenteritis diarrhea
- Viral gastroenteritis prevention
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free