Doctor insights on:
How Is Ethyl Alcohol Used To Treat Ethylene Glycol Poisoning
Yes, if early: Ethylene glycol is broken down by alcohol dehydrogenase into toxic metabolites. Once that happens, alcohol won't work. The idea is that the alcohol will take up all the available alcohol dehydrogenase available and stop it from metabolizing the ethylene glycol into it's more toxic metabolites. ...Read more
Toxic ingestion (also called "poisoning") is a condition in which a person has eaten or drank a substance that causes ill symptoms or damage to his body. Taking an overdose of a medicine, taking any dose of a poison, drinking too much vodka, or accidentally drinking antifreeze . . . are all ...Read more
Is serum Osmolality typically elevated in metabolic acidosis/alkalosis and ethylene glycol poisoning?
Yes: Particularly with ethylene glycol poisoning. For good health - Have a diet rich in fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains, milk and milk products, nuts, beans, legumes, lentils and small amounts of lean meats. Avoid saturated fats. Exercise at least 150 minutes/week and increase the intensity of exercise gradually. Do not use tobacco, alcohol, weed or street drugs in any form. Practice safe sex. ...Read more
I put hand sanitizer with 70% ethyl alcohol on a very open cut on my head. Will i get alcohol poisoning? I put a decent amount
Alcohol Poisoning : Although alcohol "poisoning" is unlikely, the use of high concentration alcohols in wounds is usually contraindicated as alcohols are cytotoxic. (harmful to tissues) with scalp wounds of this description, the application of direct pressure to control hemorrhaging and transfer to a medical facility would be recommended. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Least of troubles: Ethylene glycol causes death by acidfying the body and producing crystals in the brain and kidney; there are problem direct toxic effects on some of the metabolic pathways as well. Hemolysis, if it occurs, is the least of these patients' problems. This question appears elsewhere and i wonder if some misguided teacher is asking it. Good luck. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Dangerous!: Ethylene glycol is an extremely dangerous poison which can cause death and permanent brain and other organ damage when taken even in small quantities; people who have swallowed this substance often need to be in an intensive care unit. Depending on the timing and the person's condition, he may need his stomach pumped, charcoal to neutralyze the substance, dialysis, and other treatments ...Read more
Ethyl alcohol: Ethyl alcohol is another name for ethanol which is drinking alcohol. So if you take ethyl alcohol internally, you risk becoming drunk. On the other hand, methanol or wood alcohol is not intended for human consumption and is actually considered a poison. Isopropyl alcohol is used for disinfection, not consumption. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How does ethylene glycol cause hemolysis?
- How to treat alcohol poisoning?
- How to treat food poisoning?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How to help alcohol poisoning?
- How to treat food poisoning in adults?
- How to help someone with alcohol poisoning?
- How to treat alcohol burns?
- Talk to a pharmacologist online for free