Doctor insights on:
How Is A Chest Tube Inserted Does It Hurt
A chest tube (chest drain, thoracic catheter, tube thoracostomy, or intercostal drain) is a flexible plastic tube that is inserted through the chest wall and into the pleural space or mediastinum. It is used to remove air (pneumothorax) or fluid (pleural effusion, blood, chyle), or pus (empyema) from the intrathoracic space. It is also known as a bülau drain ...Read more
Depends: If this is an emergent need for a chest tube usually only local/topical medications are given. If this is an elective placement of the chest tube occassionally IV medication can be given before the procedure. In good hands the placement should be only moderately uncomfortable. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Does inserting a chest tube for a collapsed lung caused by a gsw immediately inflate the lung again?
Chest Tube: Inserting a chest can and usually reinflates the lung immediately. It is left in place on suction for a few days in order to let the hole/leak on the lung to heal. It is also useful for draining fluid or blood that may be present around the lung. ...Read more
Is having vats resection if a spine tumour considered major surgery? It's been three weeks i'm still in agony where the chest tube my nerves hurt too
Through the ribs. : A chest tube is inserted by making a small incision on the side of the chest, usually along the same level as the nipple, and bluntly penetrating into the chest cavity over one of the ribs. This is done using a blunt instrument. Once the tract into the chest is created, the tube is inserted and tied in place. It is then attached to a canister that will drain the fluid or air from the chest cavity. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Does it hurt inserting a tampon for the first time?
- Does it hurt when implanon is being inserted?
- It hurts to insert a tampon
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Why does my lower stomach hurt when my boyfriend inserts his penis in?
- Why should a tube be inserted into the duodenum and not the stomach?
- Esophageal cancer patients feeding tube inserted stomach
- Why should a feeding tube be inserted in the duodenum and not the stomach?
- Does it hurt when you remove a chest tube?