Doctor insights on:
How Is A Chest Tube Inserted Does It Hurt
A chest tube (chest drain, thoracic catheter, tube thoracostomy, or intercostal drain) is a flexible plastic tube that is inserted through the chest wall and into the pleural space or mediastinum. It is used to remove air (pneumothorax) or fluid (pleural effusion, blood, chyle), or pus (empyema) from the intrathoracic space. It is also known as a bülau drain ...Read more
Depends: If this is an emergent need for a chest tube usually only local/topical medications are given. If this is an elective placement of the chest tube occassionally IV medication can be given before the procedure. In good hands the placement should be only moderately uncomfortable. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Does inserting a chest tube for a collapsed lung caused by a gsw immediately inflate the lung again?
Chest Tube: Inserting a chest can and usually reinflates the lung immediately. It is left in place on suction for a few days in order to let the hole/leak on the lung to heal. It is also useful for draining fluid or blood that may be present around the lung. ...Read more
Is having vats resection if a spine tumour considered major surgery? It's been three weeks i'm still in agony where the chest tube my nerves hurt too
Through the ribs. : A chest tube is inserted by making a small incision on the side of the chest, usually along the same level as the nipple, and bluntly penetrating into the chest cavity over one of the ribs. This is done using a blunt instrument. Once the tract into the chest is created, the tube is inserted and tied in place. It is then attached to a canister that will drain the fluid or air from the chest cavity. ...Read more
Keep it covered: To prevent infection.Get a more detailed answer ›
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What does it mean wen a girls nipple is hard n always hurting?
- What does it mean to have a low temperature like how low is normal?
- How long does after a bone marrow biopsy does hurt it for?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Is it possible a collapsed lung will heal without a chest tube?
- What is a liver lesion and how does it affect people with cirrhosis?
- How long does it take to stop hurting after a c-section?
- What does a panic attack feel like and how easy is it to spot early on?
- Does it hurt when you remove a chest tube?