Doctor insights on:
How Fast Can I Make My Priapism Go Away
What makes blood stay in the penis glans for a few days after a priapism? What makes it leave later? What can be done to stop it from happening again?
ArteriolarSizeValves: Like all other locations in body, nothing stays alive without blood flow in capillaries within few cell diameters. While heart moved blood from veins to arteries, local blood flow is controlled by size of the arterioles just prior to capillaries. Arterioles vary lumen diameter from zero to about 12 red blood cells in seconds under constant brain control 24/7, thus closing vs. flooding capillaries. ...Read more
Medications: The treatment of priapism initially includes medications. If this fails, then a needle must be placed into the penis and potent medicaions must be injected directly into the penis. If these measures fail, then surgery for a penile shunt is needed to prevent future penile scarring and erectile dysfunction. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Not common: Ischemic priapism due to blood sludging in the penile corpora (rods) is most frequent in men with sickle cell disease. Rarely occurs with use of medications for ed, viagra, Cialis etc. Probably < 1 in 1000 men using meds. Occasionally is idiopathic, no known cause. 2nd very rare form is high flow priapism. Doppler ultrasound can differentiate between both. ...Read more
Trapped Penile Blood: Priapism results most commonly when blood gets trapped in the penis. The trapped blood doesn't allow fresh oxygenated blood in, which can result in penile pain and tissue death. Common causes are sickle cell disease, various medications (rarely those advertised for ed), Cocaine use, injection ED therapy and trauma. This is an emergency, and the blood needs to be drained immediately in the er. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How fast can i make my eye swelling go away?
- How fast can i make my flea bites go away?
- How fast can i make my blepharitis go away?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How fast can i make my blood shot eyes go away?
- How fast can i make my sebaceous cyst go away?
- How fast can i make my cubital tunnel syndrome go away?
- How fast can i make my upper respiratory tract infection go away?
- Talk to a urologist online for free