Doctor insights on:
How Far Does Food Travel In Digestive System
Food route: chew in mouth, stomach mixes and meters out into duodenum and then into small intestine for absorption. The residual makes it into the right part of the colon within an hour or less in most people. then over the next 1-4 days it slowly moves toward the rectum where it is slowly dehydrated (no digestion takes place in the colon, except bacterial degradation), eventually expelled ...Read more
Variable: Amount of time between eating food and processing entirely to defecation varies between people a lot. It takes 6-8 hours for food to through stomach and small intestine. From there it goes to large intestine for more digestion, absorption of water, and then elimination of waste. Studies have shown between 33 - 53 hours total. Kids might be faster than adults -- and medications can affect it too. ...Read more
In a normal person: without any prior surgeries or GI diseases, about 60 90 minutes from the mouth thru the small intestine to reach the colon and then another 24-36 hours thru the colon or large intestine to the anus. Of course food that cause diarrhea or constipation can change this in either direction ...Read more
Activia: As above or similar.Get a more detailed answer ›
Parts of GI system: The GI system start with the mouth and teeth. This is where digestion begins. The food is the swallowed and taken to the stomach via the esophagus. In the stomach food is exposed to acid and mechanical grinding. Food then passes into the duodenum, jejunum and ileum where nutrients are absorbed. The liquid then enters the colon where water is absorbed and then out through the anus. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long does it take for food to go through the digestive system?
- How long does food stay in each area of the digestive system?
- How long does it take for food to pass through the digestive system?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Embarrassing vaginal odor how far can it travel
- How does crohns disease affect the digestive system?
- How does the respiratory system work with the digestive system?
- How does constipation affect the digestive system?
- Talk to a colorectal surgeon online for free