Doctor insights on:
How Does Your Heart Get Affected By Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
Germ damages organs: Rocky mountain spotted fever (rmsf) is a rickettsia (type of bacteria) infection transmitted by a tick bite. The germ attacks the cells lining the small blood vessels in the body, causing multi-organ damage and maybe death. Many organs including the heart are damaged because damaged blood vessels disrupt the circulation in the vital organs, and damaged or dead cells lead to inflammation in organs. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
RMSF from ticks: Rocky Mountain spotted fever occurs in virtually every state of the U.S. It's actually quite a dangerous disease transmitted by ticks. Certainly a dog could carry a tick (Dermacentor species) that carry the bacteria. Early symptoms of RMSF are non-specific and include fever, nausea/vomiting, headache, feeling 'wiped out' etc. Only later does the rash come out - if feeling sick, see a doc. ...Read more
Misnomer: Most cases these days actually in east usa. 60% of cases are in north carolina, oklahoma, arkansas, tennessee, and missouri. Rmsf occurs in both north and south america and is on the rise. 3000 cases maximum a year. Carried by wood tick in the west, dog tick in the east. Rash helpful to diagnose but not always present. Diagnose early to avoid serious consequences. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Yes: It's an easily treated infection.Get a more detailed answer ›
By a tick bite: Rocky mountain spotted fever (rmsf) is a rickettsia (type of bacteria) infection transmitted by a tick bite (feeding > several hrs). Symptoms start in 1 week (2-14d range). The germ attacks the cells lining the small blood vessels in the body, causing multi-organ damage and maybe death. Very rarely, rmsf can be transmitted by a blood transfusion or accidental exposure in an infectious disease lab. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long does rocky mountain spotted fever last?
- What exactly does rocky mountain spotted fever do to your body?
- How does one test for rocky mountain spotted fever?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How high does your heart rate need to be before you get a heart attack?
- How high does your heart rate get when dancing?
- Does rocky mountain spotted fever cause a coma?
- How long does it take for oxycodone to get out of your system?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free