Doctor insights on:
How Does Rheumatic Fever Affect Pregnancy
Rheumatic fever: Rheumatic fever itself is not a problem prior to pregnancy unless you develop rheumatic heart disease. Rheumatic heart disease is the most severe sequela of acute rheumatic fever. It usually occurs 10 to 20 years after the original illness . It can affect the heart valves most commonly causing mitral stenosis. Mitral stenosis can complicate a pregnancy. ...Read more
If you're pregnant or planning to get pregnant, there are many things you can do to give your baby a healthy start: Regular prenatal visits along with laboratory testing, ultrasounds, prenatal vitamins and immunizations (like the flu shot and whopping cough booster). Now's the time to eat healthy, stay hydrated, and ...Read more
I have acute rheumatic fever with brain involvement. I am taking monthly penicillin injections and I am also pregnant. Will any of this effect my baby?
ARF and pregnancy: Unlikely to have a direct effect on your baby unless you have developed severe valvular abnormalities in association with the pancarditis that occurs in this condition and then the cardiac issues may complicate the pregnancy. I assume that you have chorea as one manifestation of this condition. Good luck and get better soon and have a great baby. ...Read more
Not anymore: Since the development of antibiotics (penicillin in particular) especially in developed countries with adequate access to medical care the number of patients that develop rheumatic fever has decreased dramatically as streptococcal throat infections are better diagnosed and treated. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How does an ovarian cyst affect a pregnancy test?
- How does pregnancy affect the mother who has alopecia areata?
- How does malnutrition affect pregnancy?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How does teenage pregnancy affect the physical development of the baby?
- How does degenerative spondylolisthesis affect pregnancy?
- How does teenage pregnancy affect your life?
- How does smoking during pregnancy affect the baby?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free