Doctor insights on:
How Does Obesity Affect The Digestive System
The definition started with Louis Israel Dublin, chief statistician of the Metropolitan life insurance company, in the early 1940s, as a BMI >25 (definitely >30) for people in their 20's based on retrospective observational life insurance data of the age at which people died later in life. This was subsequently adopted by the medical disease industry. However, BMI is ...Read more
Healthy diet: The best way to get healthy digestive system is to eat a healthy diet. Avoid highly processes foods, substituting whole grains, generous portions of vegetables and fruits. Eat appropriate portions. Proteins can come from meats, fish, cheese, yogurt. Generally "wild" or free range have better balance of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids. Greek yogurt is a good natural "probiotic". ...Read more
Depends: The question is how much alcohol? Low doses of alcohol (1 standard drink/day in women and elderly, 2 per day in men) causes little or no problems in most people, and may actually increase the good cholesterol (hdl). Larger doses cause many problems, mostly to our ability to live with others successfully and navigate life's pathways, but also to the heart, liver, GI tract and every other organ. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Digestive system: There are many hormones that can have a bad effect on the digestive system. That can happen when a particular hormone level is high or low. What problems are you having with your digestive system? Are you gaining weight? Losing weight? Blood pressure and pulse OK? etc. Please see your doctor without waiting too long. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How does colon cancer affect the digestive system?
- How does diabetes affect the digestive system?
- How does obesity affect your digestive system?
- How does alcohol affect the digestive system?
- How does constipation affect the digestive system?
- How does crohns disease affect the digestive system?
- How long does it take for food to pass through the digestive system?
- How does the digestive system work with other systems?
- Talk to a colorectal surgeon online for free