Doctor insights on:
How Does A Defibrillator Restart A Stopped Heart
By resetting it: A defibrillator restart a heart in an abnormal rhythm, the defibrillator sends an electrical shock to clear the abnormal rhythm, with the hope that the normal heart rhythm will restart. If there is no electrical activity- flat line, or asytole. There is no role for a defibrillator. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Not likely: It may not save them but unlikely to kill them. ...Read more
How external defibrillator work on the heart and what is the mechanism of action of the external defibrillator?
Ext defibrillators: There are 3 types. Manual defib- used by medical staff, automatic ones (aed's) found at airports, casinos, stadiums and wearable devices (lifevest)- worn while waiting for permanent one. All 3 devices monitor the heart and if the rhythm is ventricular tachycardia or fibrillation it delivers a painful but lifesaving electrical shock of up to 360 joules. The heart rhythm usually resets to normal. ...Read more
Do patients with cardiac defibrillators physically feel the shock? Or is it just like normal heart electricity where you feel nothing at all?
ICD: When an ICD discharges the patient feels the jolt. It is not a sensation most of the patients enjoy other than knowing it likely saved their life. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can a defibrillator restart a heart that stopped?
- What chemical restarts a stopped heart?
- How does an implantable cardioverter defibrillator function?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Heart attack defibrillator
- Heart defibrillator side effects
- How long can your heart be stopped before cpr will no longer be successful?
- Niacin stopped how long does it stay in you system
- Talk to a critical care specialist online for free