Doctor insights on:
How Does A Chordae Tendinae Rupture
Usually wear & tear: Most cases of chordae tendinae rupture are because of degeneration after years of routine "wear and tear" leads to thickening and retraction. Rarely, it can occur due to infection (endocarditis), either acutely, or later if fibrosis develops and distorts the chorda. If a mitral valve is extremely "floppy", i.e. Mv prolapse, the flopping leaflet may pull the chorda hard enough to tear it. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
What would be a long term effects of having a ruptured/redundant chordae tendinae? There is a chance i might have one. Could that have cause my stroke
Hold valve: Think of valve as a parachute, chordae tendinae are the "ropes" that anchor the valve leaflets or cusps to the heart muscle. Heart muscle contraction pulls on these cords to close the valve, when when heart relaxes then the valve opens. They are an important part of the heart valve apparatus. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Below: The chordae tendinae are attached to the underside of the tricuspid (right side of the heart between the right atrium and right ventricle) and the mitral valve (left side of the heart between the left atrium and left ventricle). The attach much the same way that the chords of a parachute attach to the chute. The transmit the forces to pull open the valve and align it to close properly. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long does a ruptured achilles tendon take to heal after treatment?
- How long does it take a ruptured spleen to heal without treatment?
- How long does it take to heal from a ruptured spleen?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long does a ruptured eardrum leak?
- How long does a ruptured eardrum take to heal?
- How long does it take for a ruptured appendix to kill you?
- How long does it take for a brain aneurysm to rupture?
- How long does pain from a ruptured ovarian cyst last?