Doctor insights on:
How Do You Tell If You Have A Broken Rib
Chest X-Ray...: Often you can suspect it by having pain with breathing. Broken ribs are usually caused by trauma of some sort (car accident, fights, falling, etc). The best test is an x-ray or ct scan to determine for sure. The treatment is usually just pain medication alone. Rarely is surgery used for broken ribs. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
How can you tell the difference between a broken rib and a pulled rib muscle? What should I do for either one?
Difficult: Early on, the symptoms of rib fracture and pulled muscle may be very similar. With a broken rib, there should also be tenderness over the fracture site. Pulled muscles with resolve with time and simple treatment. If they symptoms do not decrease after several days, a cxr would be appropriate. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Xray: The only way to know if your rib is truly broken is with an xray. This simple diagnostic test creates a picture of the rib cage which your physician can use to evaluate your pain. Sometimes it can be hard to see a fracture on xray. Typically these breaks take up to 6 weeks to heal. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Anti-inflammatories: Broken ribs take longer to heal than some injuries because the ribs are always moving. The only truly “natural” pain reliever are the endorphins your body makes. Some people and some studies have shown that white willow bark is an effective anti-inflammatory. Omega-3 fatty acids derived from fish oil (and not plant oil) can be very potent anti-inflammatories, but take weeks to months to take work. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How do you know if you have a broken rib?
- What to do when you have broken ribs?
- How do you heal a broken rib?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How do you tell if you have a kidney infection?
- How do you tell if you have breast cancer?
- How do you tell if you have genital warts?
- How do you tell someone they have aspergers?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free