Doctor insights on:
How Do You Know When A Wound Reached The Dermis
What do you mean?: The epidermis is so thin (think "roof" of a blister) that nearly all wounds reach the dermis. The dermis is the thick, sturdy portion of the skin (think the tough, fuzzy part of leather) and the epidermis is the waterproof layer on top (think the smooth layer on top that gives the leather its "finish"). Even a scratch often reaches the dermis. Hope this helps, but if not, ask again! ...Read more
Got scratched by blood contaminated dental bur while operating on my patient. No bleeding. Cut through epidermis and reach the dermis. Advice?
Scraps under eye 5 year old boy which reach to superficial layer of dermis and formed scab removed early does that injury deep enough to leave a scar?
Lasers: Lasers can penetrate the skin directly, (cause a controlled injury) or pass through the skin and target a specific color, (brown for age spot or red for spider veins). If the laser heats the skin it can blister as well. If the laser damages the deep dermis the area will be numb 3rd degree burn, if the skin hurts it is 2nd degree. It is best to ask your laser physician. ...Read more
Dermis: Since the production of procollagen must precede the production of collagen, vitamin c must have a role in this step. A compounded topical medication called vitamin c palmitate 30% is very effective at improving the collagen in the dermis. The oral vitamin c is not that effective. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Topical retinoid: Prescription strength topically applied retinoids, such as tazarotene or tretinoin, can help thicken and strengthen the dermis after months of use. For quicker and more dramatic cosmetic results, "fillers" such as Restylane can be injected into localized areas to help soften any wrinkles caused by volume depletion. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How do you know the difference between a sprained or fractured ankle?
- How do you know when a cold sore is healing?
- How do you get over the hump of a plateau when on a diet?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How do you learn to do a front flip on the ground if you know how to do it on a trampoline?
- How do you stop symptoms when at the early stages of a cold?
- How do you know when you have a kidney infection?
- How do you know when to take a pregnancy test?
- How do you know when to pull the plug on a loved one?