Doctor insights on:
How Do You Get Hemophilia
Blood test: If suspected any doctor can order a blood test for hemophilia. There are two major types with deficiceny of different clotting factors, hemophilia a has deficincy of factor viii and hemophilia b of factor ix. Most hospital labs can do the testing on blood sample to make the diagnosis. ...Read more
Need to explain: This is because females have two x chromosomes while males have only one, so the defective gene is guaranteed to manifest in any male who carries it. Because females have two x chromosomes and haemophilia is rare, the chance of a female having two defective copies of the gene is very remote, so females are almost exclusively asymptomatic carriers of the disorder. ...Read more
Gene expression: This abnormal gene is carried on the X (female) chromosome. In the female, most would have a normal gene on their 2nd X, which has the ability to make up for the other gene. A male carries only one X, and if it carries the hemophilia gene, it is fully expressed because there is no "cancelling" gene around to stop it. ...Read more
Subspecialist: These are difficult, lifelong diseases that will involve care by subspecialist hematologists focused on their treatment, and much education and being proactive by the patient and family. The rx is factor replacement and care of complications. If it is hemophilia b, see if you can get into a gene therapy study. ...Read more
Yes: One-third to one-half of males with a new diagnosis of hemophilia have no family history of the disease. This can be due to a number of possibilities (most too complicated to be discussed here), but new mutations (de novo mutations) can occur in the offspring. For a good review of this topic, see http://www.Ncbi.Nlm.Nih.Gov/books/nbk1404/. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long after an medical abortion do you get your period?
- How long after unprotected sex do you need to get a std screening?
- How do you get rid of the fish smell from my penis?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long after an abortion do you get your period?
- How do you get rid of really red eyes after smoking weed?
- How many days before your period do you get cramps?
- How do you get dental floss out if stuck between two of your teeth?
- Talk to a hematologist online for free