Doctor insights on:
How Do You Get Cholera
Cholera: The disease cholera (severe diarrhea due to a bacterial toxin) is transmitted through ingestion of contaminated water and food. Sudden large outbreaks are usually caused by a contaminated water supply. Direct person to person contact is rare. Thus your risk of getting this from your sister is extremely low, unless you were directly exposed to the same source from which she got her infection. ...Read more
Cholera is a bacterial intestinal infection caused by vibrio cholerae. It causes severe painless diarrhea as much as 10-20 liters/day (4 gal). This will quickly lead to dehydration and death if fluid replacement not done. Causes > 100, 000 deaths/yr. Diarrhea described as rice water stool. Spread from feces to mouth. Poor ...Read more
Severe diarrhea: Cholera is an infectious disease caused by the bacteria vibrio cholera, transmitted by drinking contaminated water. It causes severe watery diarrhea that leads to rapid dehydration, shock and death if not aggressively treated. The most important treatment is intravenous or oral rehydration. This is a disease that occurs in epidemics. There's no cholera in kennebunk, maine, i can promise! ...Read more
Few: There is the occasional case of the non-epidemic serotypes of cholera acquired usually from uncooked shellfish from the gulf of mexico. These are actually not counted as cholera. In the last few years, with the tragic outbreak of cholera affecting haiti and dr, some cases have come to the usa in travelers. There has been, additional, a smaller outbreak of cholera in cuba this year. ...Read more
Cholera vaccine: Cholera vaccine is not routinely given in usa and is not stocked in most clinics and physicians office.If you are travelling to an endemic area where cholera is prevalent the vaccine has to be specialy ordered.Talk to your doctor or contact cdc. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long after an medical abortion do you get your period?
- How long after unprotected sex do you need to get a std screening?
- How do you get rid of the fish smell from my penis?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long after an abortion do you get your period?
- How do you get rid of really red eyes after smoking weed?
- How many days before your period do you get cramps?
- How do you get dental floss out if stuck between two of your teeth?
- Talk to a infectious disease specialist online