Doctor insights on:
How Do You Get Carpal Tunnel
Rest: Discontinue offending activity, stretch finger flexorsGet a more detailed answer ›
Entrapment of the median nerve at the wrist is how we describe carpal tunnel. There are 8 carpal bones, but the hamate and pisiform form the ulnar side. The trapezium and scaphoid for the radial side. Flex the 3rd digit and look at the palmar hand side. The long flexor's tendon will be visible, the median n is just to its thumb side. Wrist flexion or extension can irritate ...Read more
Debatable: Most people who develop carpal tunnel syndrome are probably genetically predisposed to the condition, while others develop the condition in response to other underling conditions (pregnancy, diabetes, etc). Typing, playing musical instruments and other similar functional activities may not cause cts, rather aggravate it (make it worse). The debate is not over... ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Can you get carpal tunnel syndrome from typing on a touch screen / tablet? Or does touch reduce the chances of getting injured compared to a keyboard?
Depends: Actually, the primary cause for cts would be prolonged wrist flexion, such as sleeping with the hands tucked under the pillow or head when sleeping. Touch screens vs keyboards would follow the same logic depending on the prolonged posture. If the touch screen patient holds the tablet with a prolonged flexed wrist while typing with the other, they would more likely experience numbness than others. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Tws: Most people come in for treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome (cts) due to the pain and numbness/tingling in the hands. The night time symptoms can be very disruptive. However, the most functionally dibilitating part of cts is muscle wasting. The muscles in the fat part of the thumb are innervated by the median nerve, which is compresses in cts. Eventually you lose the ability to grip or pinch. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long after an medical abortion do you get your period?
- How long after unprotected sex do you need to get a std screening?
- How do you get rid of the fish smell from my penis?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long after an abortion do you get your period?
- How do you get rid of really red eyes after smoking weed?
- How many days before your period do you get cramps?
- How do you get dental floss out if stuck between two of your teeth?
- Talk to a hand surgeon online for free