Doctor insights on:
How Do You Fully Recover From Dislocated Shoulder
A glenohumeral dislocation occurs when the head of humeus displaces in relationship to the glenoid fossa. Most glenohumeral dislocations occur when the humerus slips forward (anterior) on the fossa. A disocated shoulder must be reduced, & a post-reduction x-ray is necessary to check for any fractures/ ensure proper realignment. Dislocations may also cause soft tissue ...Read more
Time, ROM, strength: If this is your first dislocation, time (rest) followed by gentle attempts to regain range of motion followed by rotator cuff strengthening is the recipe. You can do this under the guidance of a physical therapist or self-directed exercise. I strongly urge you to go to an ortho doc for an assessment of your risk for another shoulder dislocation in the future. ...Read more
See details: Why not ask your orthopedist. If you have not seen one, do so. One needs much more specific data to answer this question. ...Read more
What are some tips for recovering from arthroscopic shoulder surgery done to correct dislocated shoulder?
Depends....: The treatment of shoulder dislocations is based on whether or not it is recurrent (more than one dislocation) and why it dislocated. Some shoulders dislocate because the ligaments are loose, and some because the ligaments or "labrum" is torn. Some people are treated with physical therapy, and some need to consider surgery. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
See orthopedist: Initially rest it and avoid painful maneuvers especially the throwing position. You may use a sling for a few weeks if desired. Gradually, your activity level can be increased with a supervised rehab. Program. Discuss definitive treatment with a sports orthopedist to determine your options. Surgical and non-surgical treatment options are supported for a first time dislocator. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long to fully recover from sepsis?
- How do you relocate a dislocated shoulder blade?
- How long will it take until you fully recover from a compound femur fracture?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long does it take to fully recover from open heart surgery?
- How long does it take to fully recover from a broken wrist?
- Fully recover from broken leg
- How much sleep do i need to fully recover?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free