Doctor insights on:
How Do I Help My Father With A Gambling Addiction
Addiction is a condition in which a person has a strong, persistent physical and psychological need for a habit-forming substance (such as alcohol, cigarettes, or cocaine) or an activity (such as gambling). The person usually suffers physical or psychological withdrawal symptoms if he is unable to continue getting what ...Read more
Express your concern: ; encourage him or her to try out ga (gambler's anonymous). It is free, confidential and beneficial. ...Read more
Yes: There are support groups such as gamblers anonymous which can be helpful. A person with a gambling addiction would also want to consider therapy. One key idea is to make sure that the person is in a supportive environment with people who will both encourage and hold him/her accountable. ...Read more
Gambling addiction: You cannot make her stop, but you can get help through gamanon, the companion group to gamblers anonymous. In the same way that al-anon helps family members of an alcoholic, whether or not the alcoholic is in aa, gamanon can help you whether your mother goes to ga or not. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Be Careful: Your wanting to help is admirable. However, be carefule to not become a primary enabler. It might be possible that the bankruptcy was caused by a gambling addiction. You can suggest counseling for the addiction, a secured credit card to help them rebuild credit slowly, suggest they keep a close eye on their credit score, etc. Do not loan them money! remember, you are the child. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
All addictions: Negatively effect our health. We spend way to much time doing them and not enough time taking care of ourselves. So exercise goes out the window; eating well goes out the window; as does socializing. All these things are part of being a healthy human being! ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Destroy their lives?: Like any other serious addiction gambling has destroyed people, making them lose their jobs, break their families and make them destitute. Recent research suggests that the brain in these people is wired differently?! intelligent people would recognize their weakness and avoid getting involved. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How do i know if a hostess is infected or not my wife wont have sex with me?
- How do i help relieve my leg pain after a herniated disk surgery?
- I have a tiny bump on my tonguewoke up with ithow do i stop it from hurting
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How do i clean my utensils after eating to protect someone with a peanut allergy?
- How do i tone my abs with a bad back?
- How can i help my mom overcome her gambling addiction?
- How can i help my child live a normal life with type i diabetes?
- Talk to an addiction specialist online for free