Doctor insights on:
How Could I Tell If My Wrist Is Broken
X-ray to be sure: Unless there is an obvious deformity you may not be able to tell the difference with the naked eye. While a sprain is an injury to the ligaments of the wrist, and a fracture is damage to the bone, strains of muscles and tendons are also possible. In any case, common symptoms may be pain, limited strength/ motion, swelling, and/ or bruising. Have an x-ray to be sure! ...Read more
Short answer: You can'tGet a more detailed answer ›
See an orthopedist: You should not try to self-diagnose a wrist injury. ...Read more
An exam followed by : An appropriately selected xray is a good start. The wrist is complex and "sprains" arent necessarily treated all the same as the injury can be mild or complex/ even with a negative x-ray. A fracture can differ in its appearance just by varying the view of the x-ray so while a standard traum series of xrays helps rule out an obvious fracture there are many injuries that need special views/studies. ...Read more
Wrist: Xray, good history that describes the mechanism of injury with the amount of energy involved, good physical exam by an er doc/orthopedic surgeon. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How can i tell if my foot is broken?
- How can i tell if my finger is broken?
- How do i tell if my finger is broken?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Sprained or broken wrist how to tell
- How could i know if my elbow is broken?
- How could i know if my knee is broken?
- How can you tell if your wrist is broken?
- How could i tell if i have broken my thumb?