Doctor insights on:
How Could I Fix Bowed Legs Without Surgery
Bowlegs is a condition in which the knees remain wide apart when a person stands with the feet and ankles together. Infants are born bowlegged because of their folded position in the uterus. The infant's bowed legs begin to straighten once the child starts to walk and the legs begin to bear weight (about 12 to 18 months old). Normal appearance is usually attained by the time the child is 3 years old. At this time, a child can usually stand with the ankles together and the knees just touch. If the bowed legs persist into this period, the ...Read more
You can't: I'm sorry, but I don't believe bow legs can be corrected in an adult without surgery. Physical therapy may help to some degree, but modalities like leg braces are not as effective in adults as they are in children. You should talk to an orthopedic surgeon and/or a physiatrist (PM&R doctor). ...Read more
Would after having surgery to fix bow legs affect your legs permanently, as in you were a quick athlete, and now not as much as before in consequence?
BOW LEGS: Non-operative: 'orthotic' management considered in infantile form: less than 3 yr with mild deformity. Knee-ankle-foot orthosis to be worn 22-23 hrs/d for 1 yr. Surgical: age 4 yr or more, failure of orthotic management with more severe deformities. Your child's orthopedic doc will explain in detail after complete evaluation of degree of defrmity. ...Read more
No : There are several scenarios for bow-legs, genu valrum or genu varus, which is a deformity marked by an outward bowing of the legs. Minor angulation can be corrected by braces, particularly in children. However in some, osteotomy surgery may be required - the bones are exposed surgically and divided with a special saw. The cut ends are realigned in the correct position and held with screws. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How can i cure hydrocele without surgery?
- How to fix a deviated septum without surgery?
- How can i make my breast smaller without surgery?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How to fix a lazy eyelid without surgery?
- Could the surgery to fix bow legs make you shorter
- How can i make my breasts bigger without surgery?
- How long before i can go back to work after surgery for a broken leg?
- How to fix bow legs without surgery?