Doctor insights on:
How Common Is It For Somebody To Get Priapism
Not common: Ischemic priapism due to blood sludging in the penile corpora (rods) is most frequent in men with sickle cell disease. Rarely occurs with use of medications for ed, viagra, (sildenafil) Cialis etc. Probably < 1 in 1000 men using meds. Occasionally is idiopathic, no known cause. 2nd very rare form is high flow priapism. Doppler ultrasound can differentiate between both. ...Read more
Trapped Penile Blood: Priapism results most commonly when blood gets trapped in the penis. The trapped blood doesn't allow fresh oxygenated blood in, which can result in penile pain and tissue death. Common causes are sickle cell disease, various medications (rarely those advertised for ed), Cocaine use, injection ED therapy and trauma. This is an emergency, and the blood needs to be drained immediately in the er. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Medications: The treatment of priapism initially includes medications. If this fails, then a needle must be placed into the penis and potent medicaions must be injected directly into the penis. If these measures fail, then surgery for a penile shunt is needed to prevent future penile scarring and erectile dysfunction. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How common is it for somebody to get urethritis?
- How common is it for somebody to get rhabdomyolysis?
- How common is it for somebody to get pyomyositis?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How common is it for somebody to get parotitis?
- How common is it for somebody to get ear swelling?
- How common is it for somebody to get swollen gums?
- How common is it for somebody to get gestational diabetes?
- Talk to a urologist online for free