Doctor insights on:
How Common Is It For Somebody To Get Narcolepsy
A little sleepy: Most of the time i guess?Get a more detailed answer ›
Yes: Narcolepsy is a genetic abnormality and can occur in multiple family members although many single isolated cases also occur. Symptoms generally begin in adolescence. There are tests that can be done to see if you have the genetic susceptibility to narcolepsy, but they don't necessarily indicate you have the condition. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Not born with it: Narcolepsy is a sleep disorder that usually develops over the teenage years. It is likely autoimmune related. There are rare situation when narcolepsy occurs in multiple sclerosis, trauma or brain tumor. Narcolepsy is caused in most patients by a "hypocretin" deficiency in the hypothalamus. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Probably not: Inadequate sleep can cause lots of symptoms: fatigue, irritability, headaches, memory and attention problems, increased accidents, etc. The symptoms resolve with adequate sleep. Narcolepsy is a chronic medical condition which is associated with excessive daytime sleepiness, sleep paralysis, vivid dreams, and sudden drop attacks associated with strong emotion. The epworth sleepiness scale can help. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Does narcolepsy and cataplexy usually get worse over time? Is rapid change in severity over 12 months normal?
It slowly progresses: Both narcolepsy and cataplexy gradually worsen over decades. Rapid change is likely some other factor; consider a repeat overnight sleep study to rule out coexisting sleep apnea, restless legs, poor sleep efficiency, or other causes of unrestful sleep. General tips: daytime naps, regular sleep-wake cycle, good sleep hygiene, routine activity during daytime, aerobic exercise, and sunlight exposure. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How common is it for somebody to get urethritis?
- How common is it for somebody to get rhabdomyolysis?
- How common is it for somebody to get pyomyositis?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How common is it for somebody to get parotitis?
- How common is it for somebody to get ear swelling?
- How common is it for somebody to get swollen gums?
- How common is it for somebody to get gestational diabetes?
- Talk to a neurologist online