Doctor insights on:
How Common Is Hepatitis C In United States
Hepatitis c is a virus that replicates (makes copies of itself) in the human liver. People can be infected by exposure to even very small amounts of blood. Over 20 to 40 years it can cause scarring of the liver, and severe scarring is called cirrhosis. People can be tested for exposure with an antibody test. If that is positive, they need a test for the virus itself ...Read more
Yes and yes: Hepatitis c is 4 to 5 times more common than HIV and more people in the us die of hepatitis c than hiv. However, unlike hiv, hepatitis c is curable. Everyone with hcv needs to find a health provider with experience taking care of people with hcv so you can take advantage of the revolution in drug development against this disease. ...Read more
How common is sexual transmission of hepatitis C?Had RNA test with lower limit of 15IU/ml, negative, never did drugs only sex w/multiple partners.
A virus: Hepatitis c is a virus that affects the liver. It is transmitted by blood contact. About 20% of people fight it off quickly. The rest it keeps attacking the liver for years/ decades. Some people get fatigue, some don't notice it. Around 20 years of this attack the liver develop cirrhosis and even failure. There are treatments available, although work is being done on better options. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How common is tetanus in the united states?
- What type of parasites are common in the midwestern united states?
- What type of parasites are common in the southern united states?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How many people have cancer in the united states?
- How to calculate your body fat with the united states navy circumference method?
- How many cases a year of the plague occur in the united states?
- How many people in the united states have programmable pacemakers?
- Talk to a infectious disease specialist online