Doctor insights on:
How Common Is Cysticercosis As A Complication Of Tapeworms
Not common: This parasitic infection can get into the brain (neurocysticercosis) . In many cases, people will be asymptomatic since the immune system will kill it. However, a few people will have seizures (from brain swelling), and blindness (inflammation from parasites in the eye), especially when treatment with an anti-parasitic is initiated. An evaluation by an ophthalmologist before tx is recommended. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Yes: Those of us in southern us see lots of cistercercosis. The tapeworm gets into muscle and the develops cysts in the brain. When the cysts break down, they cause a severe inflammation that causes seizures. The cysts are dying, but create epilepsy as they do. They may calcify and leave scars. Some resolve and seizures also resolve. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Low: In most patients with neurocysticercosis, the prognosis is good. Associated seizures seem to improve after treatment with anticysticercal drugs and, once treated, the seizures are controlled by a first-line antiepileptic agent. Duration of treatment, however, is not defined. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1168656-overview#aw2aab6b2b4aa. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Tape Worm: Cysticercosis refers to tissue infection after exposure to eggs of taenia solium, the pork tapeworm. It is spread via the fecal-oral route through contaminated food and water, and is primarily a food borne disease. The treatment depends on various factors, including the individual's symptoms, the location and number of cysticerci, and the stage of cyst development. Surgery may be necessary. ...Read more
Cysticercosis how long a patient suffering from the disease need to be on anti epileptic medication?
Cyst: Typically people with neurocysticercosis have seizures from a hardened calcification, and therefore unless a surgery could resect the lesion more likely fir an aed, . ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How are common does cysticercosis affect the muscle?
- How are common does cysticercosis affect the nervous system?
- How are common does cysticercosis affect the blurred vision?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How common is meningitis as a complication of malaria?
- Can dehydration be a complication of tapeworms?
- How common of a complication is sepsis with rocky mountain fever?
- How common is septicemia as complication for a bacterial infection?
- Talk to a infectious disease specialist online