Doctor insights on:
How Can You Tell The Diffrence Between Strep And A Virus
Throat swab: Generally speaking, it can be difficult to tell. On exam, strep causes purulent secretions and viral infections do not with exception of mono. Generally a throat swab can be pretty reliable. But a good physical exam is usually all that is needed to determine the difference between a bacterial vs. Viral throat inefection. ...Read more
Yes: We still do not understand many aspects of strep carrier state but do know average length of carrier state to be about 49 months. A carrier is defined as someone who has a positive culture without a blood antibody response. Carriers are not at risk for rheumatic fever or kidney disease. Carriers do not usually transmit to very close contacts. 15% of school age kids are carriers at any one time. ...Read more
I have constant uti's, strep, and viruses. Can something else be going wrong to cause me to get sick so easily?
Get tested: The symptoms often overlap & both can improve over several days without treatment. However, 2-6 wks after the primary infection complications from the strep can occur in approximately 1/200 untreated cases.This includes preventable kidney, heart, systemic or brain related disorders. ...Read more
Maybe?: I am not sure. The central issue is that you have a strep throat test. Sxs of strep throat can include: large, red painful tonsils with white exudates; small red dots on the roof of the mouth; swollen lymph nodes on the neck; fever, headache, rash, difficulty swallowing, fatigue & rash. Complications can include infection of middle ear, sinuses, tonsils, skin & blood; scarlet fever, inflammation. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How can you tell the difference between food poisoning and a stomach virus?
- How can you tell the difference between food poisoning and a virus?
- How can you tell the difference between dehydration and a stomach virus?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How can you tell the difference between slight and transient brain injury?
- How can you tell the difference between a suicide attempt and a gesture?
- How can you tell the difference between tired eyes and dry eyes?
- How can you tell the difference between heart attack and angina?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free