Doctor insights on:
How Can You Tell The Difference Between Food Poisoning And A Virus
It's generally moot: Staph food poisoning is very severe, very sudden, and very brief. Other food poisoning outbreaks will affect multiple eaters almost identically. The gastrointestinal viruses run in small outbreaks in particular seasons. The two entities are seldom distinguished s they are self-limited. Salmonella and shigella might be cultured from the stool -- infections, not poisoning. ...Read more
Toxic ingestion (also called "poisoning") is a condition in which a person has eaten or drank a substance that causes ill symptoms or damage to his body. Taking an overdose of a medicine, taking any dose of a poison, drinking too much vodka, or accidentally drinking antifreeze . . . are all ...Read more
There are a number: of potential causative agents for food poisoning including viruses (Norovirus, Rotovirus and Hepatitis A). Food poisoning can be caused by bacteria (E.coli, Listeria monocytogenes, Shigella, Staphylococcus Aureus, C. botulinum, Clostridium perfingens, V. cholerae, C. jenui.), & toxins in food. Ciguatera in tropical fish that have eaten toxic plankton, Shellfish fed on toxic algae, Scromboid ...Read more
I think I have a mild case of food poisoning, what is the difference between food poisoning and a stomach virus and how long does it lasy?
Cannot predict: Telling the difference between these may be nearly impossible. Both should resolve quickly and should disappear within several days. Hope you are better soon. ...Read more
Not with certainty: Viruses tend to be very short lived and mild infections in the GI tract. Food poisoning can vary in the length and severity of the process depending on the bug, how much was ingested and the integrity of the person's immune system. As a rule, these infections tend to be a bit nastier and last longer on average. ...Read more
Symptoms overlap : Some times it is hard to tell. I generally assume that a fever over 101 in an infant or 100 in an adult likely represents an infectious process rather than a food toxin. However, there are some that don't have much fever during an illness & some folks that run moderate temperatures when faced with the stress of a food toxin, or running around the block for that matter. ...Read more
Unclear question: Do you have any symptoms?Get a more detailed answer ›
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How can you tell the difference between food poisoning and a stomach virus?
- How can you tell the difference between dehydration and a stomach virus?
- How to tell difference between food poisoning and stomach flu?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How can you tell the difference between dandruff and lice?
- How can you tell the difference between slight and transient brain injury?
- How can you tell the difference between a suicide attempt and a gesture?
- How can you tell the difference between tired eyes and dry eyes?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free