Doctor insights on:
How Can You Tell The Difference Between Dehydration And A Stomach Virus
One can cause..: The other. A stomach virus that leads to vomiting, poor intake, diarrhea can lead to someone getting behind in fluids (dehydration). A stomach bug often comes with feeling bad, maybe fevers, stomach cramps, etc. Dehydration can be caused by lots of things besides stomach problems. Not ever stomach virus leads to dehydration, but you should take steps to prevent it anytime you have a stomach virus. ...Read more
There are a number: of potential causative agents for food poisoning including viruses (Norovirus, Rotovirus and Hepatitis A). Food poisoning can be caused by bacteria (E.coli, Listeria monocytogenes, Shigella, Staphylococcus Aureus, C. botulinum, Clostridium perfingens, V. cholerae, C. jenui.), & toxins in food. Ciguatera in tropical fish that have eaten toxic plankton, Shellfish fed on toxic algae, Scromboid ...Read more
I think I have a mild case of food poisoning, what is the difference between food poisoning and a stomach virus and how long does it lasy?
Cannot predict: Telling the difference between these may be nearly impossible. Both should resolve quickly and should disappear within several days. Hope you are better soon. ...Read more
Varies: Time of recovery usually depends on virus and takes days to weeks. You can be contagious from a few days to two weeks, depending on which virus is causing your stomach flu (gastroenteritis).. Severe dehydration can occur which needs supplemented fluids sometimes intravenous therapy and hospitalization. ...Read more
Symptoms overlap : Some times it is hard to tell. I generally assume that a fever over 101 in an infant or 100 in an adult likely represents an infectious process rather than a food toxin. However, there are some that don't have much fever during an illness & some folks that run moderate temperatures when faced with the stress of a food toxin, or running around the block for that matter. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How can you tell the difference between food poisoning and a stomach virus?
- How can you tell the difference between food poisoning and a virus?
- How can you tell the difference between dandruff and lice?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How can you tell the difference between a suicide attempt and a gesture?
- How can you tell the difference between tired eyes and dry eyes?
- How can you tell the difference between heart attack and angina?
- How can you tell the difference between having heartburn pain and angina pain?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free