Doctor insights on:
How Can You Know If You Are Allergic To Bee Stings
Wait and see: 3% or less of adults are seriously allergic to bee sting, and even fewer children. Typically, the only way to know if you were truly allergic is to experience an adverse reaction after being stung. Allergy skin testing is very accurate, however not recommended as a screening tool, which means it is not recommended to be done to help decide if a person is allergic preemptively. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Signs & Symptoms: Most often a bee sting causes localized pain, swelling, itching & redness of the site. Or there can be continued swelling with nausea or vomiting. A severe reaction can lead to difficulty breathing, swelling of mouth, tongue, lips or throat, hives, wheezing, chest, tightness, coughing, shortness of breath, throat tightness, slurring of speech, hoarseness, difficulty swallowing or feeling weak. ...Read more
Yes: Allergic reactions to beestings include hives, wheezing, throat swelling, and drop in blood pressure; these reactions can be life-threatening and need to be taken seriously. Any visible reaction on the skin that is not directly connected to the site of the sting is an allergic reaction. You should carry an epi-pen when outdoors, and should consult an allergist regarding desensitization. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
An allergy skin test: An allergy specialist is able to test you to different extracts from bees and other stinging insects to determine what particular insect you may be allergic to. Based on your type of reaction and the test results, they may prescribe allergy shots to prevent future allergic reactions to bee (or other insect) stings. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Not allergic...: If you have never had a beesting, you are not allergic...At least not until after the first time. To be allergic to something, your body must be in contact with it at least once for it to develop the "memory to be allergic" to a specific antigen, in this case the beesting. Also, allergic to one beesting does not necessarily mean you will be allergic to all beestings. Be safe... Good luck. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
I got stung by a bee 6 hours ago. I have never been allergic to bee stings. there is almost no mark left where the bee stung me. Am i in safe zone?
No.: A bee sting allergy means you are allergic to the bee's venom, which is not in either honey or beeswax. It is certainly possible to be allergic to honey or beeswax (especially if you have a bad pollen allergy), but that's a completely separate allergy, unrelated to bee sting venom. ...Read more
Could you tell me if one is allergic to bee stings will he be allergic to jellyfish or fire coral?
Not necessarily: Bee sting allergy is triggered by ige mediated allergy to specific proteins in the honey bee venom. Mellitin and phospholipase are some of these proteins. These are distinct from jelly fish and coral reactions. Many people will react to jelly fish and coral stings suggesting a toxic reaction as opposed to a true allergic reaction. ...Read more
I got a bee sting and it was swollen for a week and it was very itchy, could i be allergic to bee stings?
Management: Your symptoms indicate a mild allergic reaction. If stung again, you may develop a similar or worse reaction. I have attached a link for more information: http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/insect-stings For mild itchiness, an anti histamine is usually part of the management. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
My dad is deathly allergic to bees and wasps but I've never been stung by either. if don't want to find out the hard way. also are allergies genetic? Could I be deathly allergic to bee stings too?
Possibly: Severe allergy to a single thing such as bee stings is not necessarily familial/genetic, but certain families DO have the tendency to be hypersensitive to things (leading to asthma, allergies and eczema). Blood tests are available to see if you also have this tendency towards severe reactions. Ask you doctor about testing for hymenoptera allergies, to be on the safe side. ...Read more
No: Allergic reactions to bee stings are characterized by symptoms away from the site of the sting. If all of the reaction to a sting - blisters, swelling, redness - are all directly connected to the site of the sting, it's a large local reaction. If you get stung on the foot and get hives on your arms, or your throat swells or you start to wheeze - those are allergic reactions. See an allergist. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
I'm allergic to bee stings. I got stung on my foot. My breathing is fine. But my toe is swelling and I've taken 3 benedryl today. what else can I do?
Will my 4 yr old daughter likely be allergic to bee stings if her mother has anaphylaxis to bee stings? She gets a rash with amoxil (amoxicillin).
Bee sting: No your daughter is not more likely to have a severe allergic reaction to bee stings. There is rash associated with Amoxicillin called the Amoxicillin rash. It is a rough or bumpy rash sometimes described as feeling like sand paper. It is not an allergic reaction to amoxicillin. If daughter rash to Amoxicillin was of this type she is not likely allergic to amoxicillin. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Your reaction???: Those with immediate reactions that include light headedness, dizziness, cramps, difficulty swallowing or breathing should carry an auto-injector device with Epinephrine for immediate use followed by a trip to the er. Desensitization therapy thru an allergist can reduce long term risk. If reaction is mild hives & local swelling, you can take benedryl & monitor the situation for changes. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Possibly ?: If your response to a bee sting has been something like a localized rash or hives you can relax & view the process as minor.If you become dizzy, have abdominal cramps, tightening of the chest or throat with difficulty breathing you should see an allergist. You should carry a auto-injector device with Epinephrine & consider desensitization therapy. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Two young children suffered multiple bee stings. While they are not allergic, we are concerned about their ages (4 and 7). What should we do?
Supportive Care: Make sure to monitor them for symptoms other than discomfort like wheezing, difficulty breathing, and significant swelling especially involving the face and/or neck. Make sure to clean all bites with soap n water and remove any stingers by scraping with a plastic ID, and apply cool compresses every 20 minutes as needed for pain. Antiseptic spray and Ibuprofen is also very helpful for any pain. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor online
- How to tell if you are allergic to bee stings?
- How can i tell if i am allergic to bee stings?
- Bee sting allergic reaction
- Bee sting allergic reactions
- Is everyone allergic to bee stings?
- Can you get an infection from a bee sting?
- Can you get sick from a bee sting?
- Can you get arthritis from a bee sting?
- How do i know if i'm allergic to bee stings?