Doctor insights on:
How Can Someone Help A Person With My Trichotillomania
Psychiatrist: Don't yell at me - i'm not saying you're "crazy", because you are not. If you had a stomach or nerve disorder you would go to a stomach or nerve specialist. When you have a compulsive disorder like trichotillomania, you go to a compulsion specialist, a psychiatrist, who will help you figure out why you are pulling your hair out, and suggest ways to help you stop doing it. ...Read more
Treat the cause: The microdot process is purported to replace hair loss from many causes. But if the basic problem -- compulsive hair pulling, or trichotillomania -- is not treated, it will simply recur. You may be better served by working with a psychiatrist and psychotherapist. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/pmh0002485/. ...Read more
Find Trich Expert: Chronic hair pulling - trichotillomania- is a body-focused repetitive behavior (bfrb). "trich" can arise in response to (a) emotions - anxiety, fear, boredom, excitement; &/or (b) detecting some irregularity on scalp. Hair pulling can feel pleasurable & can serve to relieve tension. There are effective treatments. Learn more about trich @ trich.Org & help your girlfriend find expert help! ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
I have heard that taking Adderall with also having trichotillomania makes it worse, but it actually helps me, would there be a specific reason why?
Anxiety and dopamine: The brain is a fascinating organ that we much to learn about. Neurotransmitters are chemicals that produce function at the nerve cell level and more so we interact with our world. . Adderall, is often used to treat add, and treat other diagnosis'. Adderall increases the dopamine. Trichotillomania is classed as an anxiety disorder responding well to serotonin while Dopamine can make it worse. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Trichotilomania is : A very troubling psychiatric disorder that causes patients to pull put hair from their head, body, eyelashes, or eye brows. Pts are usually very distressed by this behavior & it's effects on appearance, physical pain, & stress. Treatment typically involves behavioral therapy & medication. You indicate that you're 50 years old. Get treatment so you can feel better, whether ur mom agrees or not! ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long can a person live with a leaky heart valve my mom has one?
- How can i help my child live a normal life with type i diabetes?
- How long can a person live after being diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can a person with alpha thalassemia marry someone with beta thalassemia safely?
- How long can a person live with a brain tumor before it causes symptoms?
- How can i help my child who has a low white blood cell count?
- How long can a person survive after being diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver?
- Talk to a dermatologist online