Doctor insights on:
How Can I Treat Dandruff
Dandruff: How old is she? If she is young, it may be cradle cap- a type of childhood dandruff or seborrheic dermatitis. Use a dandruff shampoo such as Selsun Blue and let it soak into her hair during her bath. Scrub her scalp with a soft brush and rinse well. If it's not getting better, see her doctor. ...Read more
Dandruff shampoo: The over-the-counter shampoos generally work very well, like Head and Shoulders, or Neutrogena. You can also scrub your scalp in the shower with a soft brush. Just don't get too aggressive with it, you don't want to create more irritation. If you have areas of crusting or oozing, see your doctor for consideration of additional treatment. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Yeast: Dandruff is seborrhiec dermatitis in the scalp. This is due to an overgrowth of yeast named pityrosporum ovale. Some make sebum (oils) especially preferential for them to grow. If your immune system reacts to it, your skin becomes inflamed red and flaky, thus the dandruff. Start by using head and shoulder, nizoral, neutrogena tgel or tsal shampoo, lather and leave in for 5-10min before rinsing. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Dandruff Therapy: 1. Shampoos: here are some ingredients in medicated shampoos that you can look for to help control dandruff of the scalp. All are available over the counter. Tar (t/gel) salicylic acid zinc pyrithione (like head & shoulders) selenium sulfide (selsun blue) ketoconazole (nizoral). ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How can i treat swelling on the roof of my mouth?
- How can i treat a pulled muscle on my side?
- How can i treat extremely dry skin on the tops of my toes?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How can i treat diphenhydramine overdose?
- How can i treat the vertical lines on my nails?
- How can i treat myringitis bullosa?
- How can i treat dark spots on my skin that i got after pregnancy?
- Talk to a dermatologist online