Doctor insights on:
How Can I Tell If The Nits Are Dead Or Alive
Is it safe to continue school and go to public places when you have dead nits? How do you tell if they are dead, or just hatched?
Not always. Depends : On pediculicide used. The most effective approach is to retreat lice. The reason is that not all pediculicides kill the eggs. It is best to retreat in the window when the eggs have hatched into nymphs but are not yet hatching new eggs. There are however, some pediculicides which are strongly ovicidal. ...Read moreGet help from a doctor now ›
Egg encasements: Human lice are mature by 10 days of age and can start laying eggs thereafter. They do so at the level of the scalp within a hard shell that incubates the egg until the new lice emerges.The nit, is attached to the hair by a glue like material that is resistant to easy separation. Mild acidic washes like vinegar can help dissolve the glue and help with removal along with a fine tooth comb. ...Read moreGet help from a doctor now ›
3 nits, none alive- wet combed with metal nit comb every 3 days for past 3 wks, washed/cleaned, see nothing in hair or comb since. Possible i beat it?
Maybe,maybe not: Nits mean the presence of adult lice. The duration of the infestation can be estimated by the distance of nits from the scalp.Hair grows ~.5in/mo, so if .5in high in hair they were around for a month.You will generally never be able to see the lice unless you shave off all the hair they hide in. They ay or may not be gone.If nits re-appear, they remain. ...Read moreGet help from a doctor now ›
Not by the number...: ...But by their location on the hair shafts. A head louse will attach her eggs (which is what nits are) to hair shafts at the point where they come out of the skin. As the hair grows, the nits move up from the scalp surface. Hair grows about 1 inch per month, on average - so if the nits are a half-inch away from the scalp, lice have been present for about 2 weeks; an inch away, 4 weeks; and so on. ...Read moreGet help from a doctor now ›
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How can i tell if the stitches in my finger are getting infected?
- How can i tell if the odd things in my life are real?
- How can i tell if this kidney pain is dehydration or a kidney infection?
- How can i tell if my big toe fractured or just badly bruised?
- How soon can a beta hcg tell if you are pregnant or not?
- How can i tell if i have ringworm or eczema?
- How can i tell the difference between scabies or bedbugs?
- How can i tell if something is a soft lymph node or a cyst?
- Talk to a pediatrician online