Doctor insights on:
How Can I Tell If My Thumb Is Broken
How can I tell if my thumb is broken? The swelling has not gone down even after ice. The color has gotten worse. It also hurts to move it at all.
X-Ray, scan, or MRI: Usually a simple x-ray will give you the answer. Sometimes, especially soon after the injury, the x-ray will initially appear to be normal even though there is a fracture. Your physician if still suspecting a fracture may recommend an mri, or bone scan. Suspicion of fracture goes up with amount of pain and soft tissue bleeding, site of maximum pain, and findings of indirect pain on examination. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
X-Ray is best way.: Taking a simple x-ray is the quickest way to determine if there is a fracture. A walk in clinic equipped with an x-ray machine should be less expensive than a hospital er is you do not have insurance. If you have a physician, an exam could steer you to the right place, perhaps to an x-ray facility with a script in hand for the x-ray. Missed fractures may lead to complications like displacement. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
It depends: What is the cause? Osteoarthritis is a common cause which can be treated with simple anagesics, rest, physiotherapy. There are other causes of course of thumb pain (vascuar, neurologic, orthopedic, infammatory, etc) its not an uncommon complain that a primary care physician sees. There are ot's and pt's that provide therapy, advice, splinting, ultrasound and hot parafin treatments. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How can i tell if my foot is broken?
- How can i tell if my finger is broken?
- How can you tell if your thumb is broken?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How do i tell if my finger is broken?
- How can you tell if my ankle is broken?
- What can i do about my broken thumb?
- Broken or bruised rib how can i tell which
- How could i tell if i have broken my thumb?