Doctor insights on:
How Can I Stop My Son From Cracking His Knuckles
Don't bother: Most of the terrible things we've heard about cracking knuckles are myths. Not that it is a good thing, but there's little evidence that it is a bad thing. Either way, the more you try, the harder you try, the more pissed you get---that will accomplish something: he'll do it more. ...Read more
You can't: This is an annoying habit to parents and telling the child only causes persistence. My experience with young patients is that they often have other behavioral symptoms that indicate an irritable brain. In most cases it is related to "junk" particularly the incredible ingestgion of sodas and all forms of sugar. ...Read more
I hope this will: The single most classic behavioral method is to wrap a rubber band around your wrist. When you notice you are about to crack your knuckles pull back on the rubber band and release. The tiny bit of pain will remind you not to crack. ...Read more
Mary be hard: It may be hard to stop. The reason people "crack" their knuckles is not well understood. Most think nitrogen gas from the blood builds up in the joint and is released by cracking them. Because of that, it may be helpful. It maybe that if you could set a period of time where you were determined not to do it, that the tendency for gas to collect in that joint may resolve. Not well understood. ...Read more
Neg. reinforcement: Negative reinforcement can work sometimes.Get a more detailed answer ›
No: As with any habit, one can stop with motivation and discipline. No one can supply those for you. ...Read more
Habit: You have developed a habit disorder. The best way to deal with this is to replace the behavior with another behavior that is not so aggravating to you and others. Use your imagination to think of one and you can heal yourself by yourself! good luck! ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How can i treat my son eczema its all over his body and its swoll he can sleep?
- How can i help my son with dyspraxia play sports with his friends?
- How do i get my son to lower his voice?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How can i get my boyfriend to stop repressing his anger and tell me how he feels?
- How can i tell if my son is autistic?
- How can i help my alcoholic son?
- My son grinds his teeth at night while he is sleep what can i do
- Talk to a pediatrician online