Doctor insights on:
How Can I Get Rid Of Poison Sumac
Can't: It has to run its course, however topical Benadryl (diphenhydramine) and/or cortizone cream may reduce reddness and symptoms. Oral steroids may be required for larger or more severe outbreaks, possibly along with antihistamine & h2 blocker to reduce symptoms. You've got it for about two weeks. Sorry! ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Toxic ingestion (also called "poisoning") is a condition in which a person has eaten or drank a substance that causes ill symptoms or damage to his body. Taking an overdose of a medicine, taking any dose of a poison, drinking too much vodka, or accidentally drinking antifreeze . . . are all ...Read more
Poison Ivies: There are specific products that you can buy that will wash the Urushiol off. Some options of treating poison ivies include calamine lotion, oatmeal soaks, Hydrocortisone cream and antihistamines. Anything which has touched urushiol from the poison ivy needs to be cleaned (clothes, shoes, gear etc.) Oral steroids are sometimes indicated. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Yes: Apply a wet cloth, or soak the area in cool water. Use calamine lotion to help relieve itching. Try not to scratch to avoid a skin infection. Do not use the following medicines. They can cause allergy problems of their own: Antihistamines applied to the skin such as diphenhydramine (found in Benadryl cream, spray, or gel). Topical anesthetics with benzocain or topical antibiotics with neomycin. ...Read more
My dad got poison sumac yesterday and went to the doctor today. Should i be worried i may get it from him if he took a shower yesterday?
Very rare: This is very rare but the same precautions used with poison ivy apply. The oil that causes the skin reaction can be transmitted from one part of the body to another or to another person. It is not contagious. If he took a good soapy shower most if not all of the oil should be gone. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
No cure, get treated: (toxicodendron dermatitis) aka: poison ivy/oak/sumac causes an itchy blistering reaction of varying degrees in almost everyone who contacts it and fails to wash it off immediately. Seeing a doctor is highly recommended because oral steroids for about 3 weeks in a tapering course will dramatically improve this condition in a few days. Topical soaks to dry the blisters is also helpful. Good luck. ...Read more
Not even close: Poison Sumac can cause a rash (contact dermatitis) in sensitive people. Look at pictures http://www.poison-sumac.org/ Pokeweed is more common and doesn't cause a rash. It has purple berries that will stain your skin.It is toxic to animals and people when eaten But, some people will eat the leaves on a salad when prepared right. Look at pictures http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytolacca_americana ...Read more
Poison ivy: Signs and symptoms of a poison ivy rash include: redness, itching, swelling, blisters, often, the rash looks like a straight line because of the way the plant brushes against the skin. But if you come into contact with a piece of clothing or pet fur that has urushiol on it, the rash may be more spread out. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How can i get rid of poison ivy?
- What can i use to get rid of poison ivy?
- How do i get rid of poison ivy rash?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long does poison sumac last?
- How long does poison sumac rash last?
- How to treat a bad case of poison sumac?
- How long does poison sumac usually last?
- Talk to a dermatologist online