Doctor insights on:
How Can I Distinguish The Difference Between Back Pain And Kidney Pain
The kidneys are paired organs that lie on either side of the vertebral column. Part of their critical functions include the excretion of urine and removal of nitrogenous wastes products from the blood. They regulate acid-base, electrolyte, fluid balance and blood pressure. Through hormonal signals, the kidneys control the ...Read more
Let me try agian: Pain in the upper back that is a dull, one-sided ache, particularly if it is accompanied by fever and urinary symptoms may be real kidney pain. This may due to a kidney infection, or stone typically causes waves of sharp, intense pain, which doctors call renal colic .There's no sure way , do urine test to find out. Sometimes you could have both together this way the testing is very important. ...Read more
See answer below: To distinguish the two sources of pain one would look for associated symptoms. For example, back pain may be associated with pain in the hip, buttock, or leg while kidney pain may be associated with fever and/or painful urination. Back pain may worsen with activity while kidney pain would not. Finally, back pain should ease off when lying down while kidney pain may not. ...Read more
Yes you could: Kidney pain is severe and occurs in waves. Pain experienced in the lower back to the left and right of spine and above the hips. Back pain; dull and continuous pain becoming worse with movement. Injury to back caused by mild sprains to severe cases of slip discs, cancer etc. Pain predominant in the back due to problems in muscles, nerves, bones and joints of the spinal cord. Thank you. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Exam, xrays and scan: See your md.Get a more detailed answer ›
Good question: Often difficult to tell. Easy with symptoms of kidney infection, ie fever, burning on urination or blood in urine. Kidney pain usually on or more on 1 side than both ; deep to lower ribs in back which is higher than commonest back pain which is lower. Tapping lower ribs on affected side kidney >back pain. Tender vertebrae in midline, increase in pain twisting spine or bending backwards favor back. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How can i tell the difference between arthritis or just back pain?
- Difference between kidney and back pain
- Difference between back pain and kidney pain
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How can you tell the difference between kidney pain and flank pain?
- Difference between back pain and kidney infection
- How do you distinguish the difference between anxiety and panic disorder?
- How can i tell the difference between pancreas pain and gall bladder pain?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free