Doctor insights on:
How Bad Do You Have To Have Tonsillitis For Them To Be Removed
3-4 times annually: There is no precise answer to this question. But if the diagnosis of true suppurative (pus) tonsillitis had been diagnosed by a specialist, and your quality of life is significantly altered and if you have been on multiple antibiotics, then tonsillectomy by an ENT is indicated. Very rarely, recurrent strep tonsillitis may be lead to cardiac and renal disease. My number is 3-4 times a year. ...Read more
Remedies: For significant sore throat with swollen tonsils / lymph nodes – see physician & get a strep throat test/ culture. If you have strep throat, antibiotic therapy is imperative to prevent future complications. Consider tylenol (acetaminophen) or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications. Saltwater gargles: mix 1 tsp salt in 8 oz warm water – gargle several times a day. Or gargle with aloe vera juice twice a day. ...Read more
I think I have chronic tonsillitis. I am 19, it is getting to be a bigger problem, what is the likelihood i could get them removed?
See ENT: You need to consult an ENT doctor and even get a 2nd opinion re. Removing your tonsils. ...Read more
Could be: When most doctors refer to tonsillitis, they mean infection (viral or bacterial) of the tonsils at the side of the throat (palatine tonsils). There are also tonsils at the back of the tongue (lingual tonsils) if the location of the pain is truly in the back of the tongue, several diagnoses are possible. Lingual tonsillitis, infected taste buds or if you are a smoker, more serious problems. Ent. ...Read more
Depends: The most recent guidelines for tonsillectomy based upon frequency of tonsillitis are: 7 episodes in 12 months or 5 episodes per year for 2 years or 3 episodes per year for 3 years or 4 episodes of strep in a year. Other factors that may be taken into account are severity of episodes, days of school/work missed, etc. Patients who have had a peritonsillar abscess may be candidates as well. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How often do you have to have tonsillitis before they should be removed?
- Can you get tonsillitis if you have had your tonsils removed?
- Can you get tonsillitis if you do not have tonsils?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How do you get bacterial tonsillitis?
- How do you get septicemia from tonsillitis?
- How do you get a rash with tonsillitis?
- Do creams and moisturizers have chemicals in them is it bad to use it?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free