Doctor insights on:
Holistic Medicine Thyroid Nodules
Depends on problem: 3 major categories of potential health issues caused by thyroid nodules: a) large size affecting swallowing, breathing, voice ; b) over active production of thyroid hormone (hyperthyroid) ; and c) ~5% of nodules are cancer. Methimazole and ptu are pills that block thyroid hormone production, treating b) above. Radioactive i-131 can shrink/destroy nodule, treating a) and b). Need surgery for c). ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Yes: Thyroid nodules occur in up to 50% of the worlds population. Modern ultrasound equipment can detect very small nodules that were not detectable with older machines. Only about 5% of nodules are cancerous. Nodules tend to increase in frequency as one matures. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Several steps: 1) history and physical exam by doctor, 2) blood test to assess thyroid function. If hyperthyroid: needs treatment and usually a nuclear scan. 3) if thyroid function is normal or depressed usually a thyroid ultrasound is done 4) if nodule is solid or suspicious then fine needle aspiration. 5) if benign: follow-up - if malignant (or suggestive) refer to qualified surgeon. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
In certain cases: Many thyroid nodules need to be surgically removed, while others will never require surgery. Each case is individualized and there are many gray areas. It is really difficult to give a meaningful response to that question in the absence of a history and physical examination. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Heterogeneous thyroid gland without discrete nodule means
- Can thyroid nodules cause pain in your throat and ears?
- Thyroid nodules
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Increased vascularity in thyroid nodule
- Hypodense nodule in left thyroid lobe
- Will hair grow back after starting thyroid medicines
- Can a solid hypoechoic nodule in thyroid gland be cancer?
- Talk to a holistic medicine practitioner online for free