Doctor insights on:
High Systolic Low Diastolic Blood Pressure
Aging.: As we age vessels become stiffer. Stiffer vessels are associated with this. ...Read more
Blood pressure is a measurement of the force placed on the blood vessels and is comprised of the "systolic" pressure (the top number on a blood pressure meter) which is the peak pressure when the heart is pumping, and the "diastolic" pressure (the bottom number on a blood pressure meter) which is the pressure during the resting phase ...Read more
Wide pulse pressure: When systolic and diastolic are very far apart in the absence of obvious illness, your physician may look for a reason. This can be anything from unrecognized paget's of the bone, hyperthyroidism, aortic valve regurgitation, or just being excited over having your blood presure taken. For now, suggest you follow it closely. ...Read more
Is it okay to have high systolic blood pressure and low diastolic blood pressure? Is that anything bad?
Vascular health....: Generally seen with hardening of arteries, a wide pulse pressure is an insight into disease of the vascular system. It is associated with an increase in risk of heart attack and stroke. Lowering the systolic bp, statins, aspirin, diabetes control, smoking cessation, healthy diet and exercise all play a part in decreasing the risk. ...Read more
What drug is best old patients when systolic blood pressure is high and diastolic blood pressure is either normal or low?
Many options: Physician will MAP out plan & monitor therapies....Fyi systolic BP tends to be of more importance than diastolic. ...Read more
Which heart valvular disease is just associated with low diastolic blood pressure? (Systolic is good for instance 110)
What does it mean when my diastolic blood pressure is high but systolic is normal? I’ve had two readings out of range and the latest one was 120/96.
What causes high diastolic blood pressure? Over 90 when Systolic hovers around 125. GP says I worry about BP to much, when its 140/95 worry. 43 male
Second opinion: Diastolic blood pressures over 80 in a 43 year old are not normal and may reflect any number of disorders associated with vascular compliance. I recommend you make an appointment with a heart or kidney doctor as they often have specialized training and experience in hypertension management. Treating your hypertension now will avoid significant problems when you are older. ...Read more
Not many and not that important. Most common reason would be aortic insufficiency (leaky aortic valve).
Other than that, there are artifacts (errors) taking the blood pressure in someone with rigid arteries that will make diastolic BP artificially low.
True diastolic low BP (not related to leaky valve) requires NO treatment ...Read more
Multiple: There could be multiple causes including smoking, diabetes, lack of excercise/obesity, high salt diet. Family history also plays a significant role. Diastolic hypertension is more common in younger persons and should be treated. There are also multiple secondary causes that also need to be excluded. See your doctor asap. ...Read more
Use systolic: For ambulatory or home monitoring, use systolic measurements (the top number) -- the diastolic measurements are less accurate. ...Read more
NOW BP MAYBE OK: Asymptomatic chronic low blood pressure is generally not a problem. However, some possible causes: low thyroid, low cortisol, heart disease, dehydration, blood loss, allergic reaction (anaphylaxis), infection (sepsis). You may need lab tests to check these possibilites. ...Read more
Difficult: Difficult as lowering systolic generally lowers diastolic as well. My question is why are you concerned about not lowering your diastolic bp. ...Read more
No: Not really an average ratio between the 2. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor online
- Diastolic blood pressure less than 60
- Can systolic blood pressure equal diastolic blood pressure?
- What does it mean if a diastolic pressure is higher than the systolic pressure?
- Why does my diastolic pressure raise when i stand up?
- Is low diastolic blood pressure dangerous?
- Heart palpitations and low blood pressure
- Why diastolic blood pressure is high?
- Diastolic blood pressure over 100
- Diastolic blood pressure of 40
- Meaning of low diastolic blood pressure
- High diastolic blood pressure and high pulse rate
- High resting heart rate low blood pressure
- Diastolic pressure over 100
- How high can blood pressure go before stroke?
- What is too low for diastolic blood pressure?
- Diastolic blood pressure over 110
- Does lowering sodium intake reduce diastolic or systolic blood pressure?
- How to lower diastolic blood pressure quickly?
- If i have high blood pressure high diastolict should i go for long walks
- Systolic blood pressure goes down heartrate goes up