Doctor insights on:
Heparin And Coumadin Together
Morphine, coumadin, (warfarin) heparin, insulin, which one is given via the intramuscular route and which subcutaneously
How long does it take for heparin and then Coumadin (warfarin) to dissolve clots that are found in the leg and also in both lungs.
Warfarin: Actually the warfarin doesn't dissolve the clots it prevents new ones from forming. The bodies own thrombolytic system takes care of the existing clots. This takes a variable time between people it can take days to weeks however to be complete. ...Read more
Long cardiac hx. History of dvts, pe's, factor 5. 6/10 l side abd pain from this am. 0 Coumadin (warfarin) but was given 2 heparin shots. History of ovarian cysts. Same?
OMG: This is difficult. You need a really good doc, especially for your age. This is something that needs a very close eye on, a doc's eye. Do not hesitate to ask for a second opinion, or third. Good luck. ...Read more
Blood thickened even though food/lifestyle was unchanged (inr dropped to 1.3). Upping warfarin 3mg to 7mg did nothing. Now on 9mg and also daily heparin injections. Inr still 1.3. Why no improvement
Coumadin (warfarin) resistance: 95% of people get adequate response to Coumadin (warfarin) with dosage between 1-9mg. Thus leaving about 5% of people need above 9mg--because of several posible causes: poor absorption (drug such as Cholestyramine can cause this), too rapid elimination, xcessivevit k intake, hyperlipidemia, certain drugs, or hereditary resistance (rare), and at times unknown. Consult doc for adjustment. Good luck. ...Read more
My specialist said that I could continue to take dose of 15 mg warfarin whilst trying to conceive, switching to heparin before 6 weeks. Is that o.k?
Which type of specialist would I see if I've had 2uedvts and want to get pregnant? On warfarin for life, need prescription for heparin.
A perinatalogist.: A perinatalogist takes care of women with very high risk pregnancies which is what yours would be. You also want the doctor taking care of your warfarin involved. It would be helpful to do a consult visit with a perinatalogist prior to pregnancy to make sure you are informed of the risks and have a plan in place for when you get pregnant. Good luck. ...Read more
Oral administration.: Warfarin is available in an oral dose and is given on a daily basis. Its effects lasts 24 hours and takes about 72 hours to clear from your system. Heparin is given either intravenously or subcutaneously and requires dosing every 4 to 8 hours or continuously depending on the method of administration. Long term anticoagulation is easier and better tolerated with an oral medication. ...Read more
Warfarin: Warfarin is a drug you shouldn't be using during pregnancy. Heparin is safer because it doesn't cross the placenta and affect the fetus. But why do you need these anticoagulants? That cause may increase the risks of pregnancy and put you into a high risk group. Talk to your doctor. ...Read more
My mom on warfarin, and admitted to do a cardiac surgery. They stop warfarin and replace it by heparin. What is the reason for that?
How do doctors determine when to use warfarin, heparin, or aspirin for the treatment of Antiphospholipid syndrome? And how long it should be?
Adult patients with ITP coexist with elevated antiphospholipid antibodies that have splenectomy, do they need to take heparin or warfarin for life time?
Is there anything I can do to help dissolve a blood clot in my portal vein? I am taking warfarin, allergic to heparin, & clot is delaying my surgery.
Not in chronic: Usually after few weeks of portal vein thrombosis there is nothing to do except taking warfarin. In acute cases within first two weeks a physician can place intra arterial catheter in your mesenteric (intestinal) artery and infuse t-pa (clot buster) and that may help but really it is not the standard of care in most places in the country. ...Read more
Yes: There are no interactions.Get a more detailed answer ›
Yes.: No interaction between the two. But why are you taking coumadin (warfarin)? Blood clots? Birth control pills can cause blood clots, so maybe you should try some other form of birth control if that is the case. If you already had a clot, taking the two together is not a problem. ...Read more
Takn Coumadin (warfarin) hvn't ben able 2eat much lately&have los 8+lbs n 2wks I don't know y. But got INR checked 2day & it was 6.1y? Is this dangerous menstrualonalso
Go see your doctor..: Now! You didn't explain why you're taking Coumadin (warfarin) but we typically aim for inr 2-3 if for blood clot or atrial fibrillation or clotting disorder. We aim for 2.5-3.5 if you have mechanical valve. Inr of 6.1 is way too high. Your Coumadin (warfarin) dose needs to be held/adjusted & inr monitored closely until back into therapeutic range. 8 lb weight loss in 2wks is not normal either. Go see your doctor now! ...Read more