Doctor insights on:
Having Cystic Fibrosis Would It Be Unsafe To Travel To A Third World Country
Cystic fibrosis is a genetic disorder involving lungs & digestive tract, causing recurrent lung infections due to thick inspissated mucus & poor growth in majority of patients due to malabsorption. Treatment involves inhaled respiratory therapies to prevent lung disease & pancreatic enzymes to enable absorption of nutrients. Average life expectancy is near 40 years, ...Read more
My 33 yo daughter has cystic fibrosis and after an extended illness is still on a vent and getting continuos tube feeding but is still third spacing. She eats a bit as well, any suggestions to improve her nutrition needed.?
Good support: It sounds like she's getting good nutritional support, but is still too hyper metabolic from being sick to keep up with her protein imbalance of production versus utilization. It is important to avoid overfeeding her because it can make it more difficult to get her off of mechanical ventilation due to excessive co2 production. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Inherited disease: Cystic fibrosis (CF) is an inherited disease that affects the cells lining the lungs, sinuses, intestines, spleen and liver. It prevents chloride ions from crossing the cell membranes properly. This can clog organ ducts. In the lungs, the extra mucus crushes the cilia and leads to more lung infections. Medications can help; in late-stage disease, lung transplantation may be life-saving. ...Read more
Progressive disease: Cystic fibrosis (CF) is a progressive, lifelong condition in which the glands that produce mucus, sweat, and intestinal secretions do not function properly. Thick mucus accumulates in the lungs, leading to breathing difficulty and infection. CF also impairs digestion, and affected males are usually infertile. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Do both parents have to be cystic fibrosis carriers for a child to get it?
- Would it be okay to have an alcoholic drink before a pap smear
- Would it be safe to get a tattoo if i have hemophilia
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- I have a cyst on my scalp should i be concerned or need to get it drained
- Is it possible to be born with a third testicle?
- Is it normal to be in pain for weeks after having a prostate biopsy?
- Is it possible to be pregnant even if you have not missed a period?
- Talk to a pediatrician online