Doctor insights on:
Gout Alternative Medicine
Depends type of gout: There are many types of gout and soem require medications liek tumor lysis syndrome after cancer chemotherapy. Some gout is causes by increased production of uric acid and other by decreased urine excretion and some by both of these. If gout is caused by too much alcohol I have cured gout by having my patients stop alcohol. One can improve renal excretion by stopping certain meds. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
See below: Drugs used in the short term are colchicine and indomethacin and sometimes prednisone. If there are frequent recurrent disabling attacks of gout, erosions of bone on X-Rays, chalky deposits of uric acid (gout crystals) under the skin, or uric acid kidney stones, a long term Rx such as allopurinol or feboxustat would be needed to lower the uric acid. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Depends: There are different medicines given to prevent gout than there is to treat an acute case or chronic case. Allopurinol is an example of a preventative or uloric (on tv commericals of late.) Colchicine is given as both a treatment and preventative med depending on the dosage, anti-inflammatories are given as a treatment, if you meant "alternative" then I have heard of cherry extract as a treatment. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Alternative medicine for gout
- Alternative medicine diet for gout
- What alternative medicine can replace prednisone?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Alternative medicine
- How to treat gout with natural alternatives?
- Disadvantages of alternative medicine
- Complementary and alternative medicine
- Talk to a holistic medicine practitioner online for free