Doctor insights on:
Gerd In Adults
I read that 45-70% of adults with asthma also have GERD? What is the cause? My asthma is caused by allergies. Could GERD be cause by allergies?
GERD: Most cases of Gastro-esophageal reflux are due to the loose sphincter at the junction of the esophagus with the stomach. This allows some the gastric secretions to get up to the upper aero-digestive tract and this can trigger cough and even wheezing. In some of these cases with the reflux is properly treated the asthma symptoms can also improve ...Read more
Can children get gastroesophageal reflux disease? My 8-year-old has been complaining about burning in her chest after eating certain foods. Is it possible that she has gerd, or is it only an adult disease?
Maybe: Gerd is usually controlled with lifestyle changes and medication. There are some who are "cured" with certain surgical procedures which don't allow the stomach contents to reflux up into the esophagus. See your pcp or a gastroenterologist or a surgeon who specializes in this area. Surgery is usually reserved for those who cannot get control with medications or have other reasons. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Signs of gerd in adults
- Fluid behind the eardrum in adults
- What causes low body temperature in adults?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Over the counter antibiotics for ear infections in adults
- Blocked tear duct in adults home remedies
- Growing pains in adults
- What causes bright yellow diarrhea in adults?
- Talk to a gastroenterologist online