Doctor insights on:
Gangrene And Maggot Therapy
The vascular surgeon told my mother she has early stages of gangrene in her foot. What is the treatment?
Gangrene Treatment: If it is in the early stages, then the foot can usually be salvaged, but time is of the essence. The first steps would include assessing the arterial ciruculation of the leg w/ ultrasound, ct scan, or MRI of the arteries. This helps to determine the best treatment approach. Most common therapy: catheterization w/ angioplasty or stenting or surgical bypass of diseases arteries causing the gangrene. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Gangrene...: Implies death and infection. If the stomach is truly gangrenous, survival is not likely. ...Read more
My mom has develop dry gangrene in toe nails with heavy pain and she could sleep by laying on bed.She seats round the clock.Kindly advice treatment?
Gangrene: Is irreversible but to heal above it you need blood supply. In patients with toe gangrene and perfusion pressure of less than 40 mm hg a mid foot amputation, a b-k amputation will fail. With revasculaization even the foot could be salvaged and a mid foot amputation does not require prosthesis. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
No: I am not aware of any such evidence. ...Read more
Serious infection: Gas gangrene occurs from certain types of invasive bacteria that either enter the skin through a wound, or less commonly intestinal organisms that could leak into tissues through a hole. These are rapidly serious invasive infections that do not occur very often. Can be more common in diabetes or other immune deficiency situations. Needs emergency aggressive antibiotic therapy and often surgery. ...Read more
Varying opinions: You will hear different opinions on this. If it were my toe, i would have it surgically amputated. That tissue is dead, so a secondary/emerging infection is possible and this can spread rapidly. I personally think the risk of that versus the risk of having surgery is greater. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Gangrene and hyperbaric oxygen therapy
- Fun activities for drug and alcohol abuse group therapy
- Can you explain the difference between dry and wet gangrene?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Drinking beer and testosterone therapy
- Broken wrist complications after cast removal and physical therapy
- Can aroma therapy and essential oils be used past the expiration date?
- Can occupational therapy help bipolar disorder and how?
- Talk to a infectious disease specialist online