Doctor insights on:
Foods That Shrink Thyroid Nodules
Usually not: In the distant past, thyroid hormone was used to 'shrink' nodules. More recent studies with ultrasound monitoring has shown that most nodules do not shrink with thyroid hormone treatment. Because thyroid cancer is the fastest increasing cancer in women, it is important to follow most thyroid nodules with ultrasound. With hashimoto's thyroiditis, there can be false or pseudonodules. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Depends on type: If cancer, surgical removal and then treatment, possibly with radioactive iodine. If benign, but causing hyperthyroidism, then treat with radioactive iodine, antithyroid medicines, or possibly surgery. If benign and not causing symptoms, can watch closely (after benign biopsy) or use thyroid medicine to suppress growth of the nodule. If it causes symptoms (trouble swallowing), surgery. ...Read more
Depends on the cause: If a nodule is due to hashimoto's thyroiditis (inflammation caused by autoimmunity, where one's own immune system attacks one's proteins and tissues), then taking thyroid hormone pills can shrink it. If it's a tumor that's over-producing thyroid hormone, radioactive iodine can kill it, and make it smaller). Fluid-filled cysts can be drained with a needle, but may grow back. Cancer needs surgery. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Medication that will shrink thyroid nodules
- Can a thyroid nodule shrink?
- Do thyroid nodules shrink on their own?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can thyroid nodules shrink on their own?
- Foods shrink enlarged thyroid goiter
- Foods to eat that shrink thyroid goiter
- Does elimination of gluten from the diet help shrink thyroid nodules?
- Talk to an otolaryngologist online