Doctor insights on:
Food Poisoning With Cottage Cheese
Toxic ingestion (also called "poisoning") is a condition in which a person has eaten or drank a substance that causes ill symptoms or damage to his body. Taking an overdose of a medicine, taking any dose of a poison, drinking too much vodka, or accidentally drinking antifreeze. . . are all ...Read more
Unlikely: Mostly cottage cheese problems come from the product being too old and growing a layer of mold or also fermenting. These are untasty and unpleasant, and might give you an upset stomach, but will not poison you. If you are sick longer than 36 hours which gives your intestines time to deal with this, then you should see someone like your family doctor. ...Read more
Ate a bad string cheese 2 days ago & have food poisoning. Worse today. Should I avoid hurling or let it happen and get whatever it is out? Hydrating.
Just let it happen.: Just let whatever happens happens. You're not going to feel well for maybe a couple more days, but don't make yourself vomit as (a) it won't help and (b) you can give yourself a tear in your esophagus, which of course would not be good. ...Read more
Yes: It depends on the type of food poisoning and age and health of the baby. In general, the mom passes the offending organism quickly with little or no harm to herself or the fetus. Some like listeria may not harm moms but can have devastating effects on the fetus. It is wise to eat local or home-cooked foods. Read also: globalization exposes food supply to unsanitary practices http://t.Co/0pdamn7. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Time & support: Most of the time, your body will take care of this on its own -- as long as you stay hydrated and rest for a couple of days. If stools are bloody or you cannot even keep fluids down, you need medical attention and support. If it's a child who is ill, they can dehydrate very quickly and may need to see a doctor sooner. Pedialyte can be good for both kids and adults if need be. ...Read more
Where to begin...:
1. The biggest offender is poor hand hygiene.
Other major ones:
2. Unsafe handling and storage of food
3. Handling food while having a contagious
4. Breakdown in following regulations in the production and distribution of food products, ending up on your table
5. Using contaminated food in your recipes (e.g. bloated cans of vegetables, unpasteurized honey, others ...Read more
Not a matter for: Self-diagnosis. There are far too many different causes of food poisoning to provide a brief answer. It usually requires taking a history, physical examination and lab tests of the patient as well tests on the suspected foods. ...Read more
Bland, fluids: Assuming it is true "food poisoning" (gastroenteritis), not active inflammatory disease, etc., brat diet, bananas, rice (white), applesauce, tea, toast; fluids, not just h2o. Go easy on fruit juices (sorbitol content can cause cramps, diarrhea); miso soup, broths. Add boiled, broiled chicken, fish; baked/boiled potato. Fever, bleed, pain, xs vomit, diarrhea, prolonged course, complex pmh, see md. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Tips: Start with clear liquid like water, soda that is clear, or sports hydration drinks. Sip, sip, sip. Work up to solids with bland foods like bananas, rice, applesauce, toast, gelatin, or chicken. Avoid alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, dairy ; high fat foods. Rest. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Staph: lasts 1-3 days. Viral gastroenteritis can last a week. Anything longer needs evaluation.
See doc if fever, bleeding, severe symptoms, i.e. Can't keep anything down or in, other health issues, e.g. Diabetes, chronic illnesses, elderly, very young, rash, joint pains, recent travel, antibiotics in past 2-3 months, etc to make sure of the diagnosis, and get appropriate rx, avoid dehydratio, . ...Read more
What is the metal?: Although it is not food poisoning - if one had a spoon made of lead or another toxic metal - that may adversely affect health. ...Read more
Spasm: Treatment of Food poisoning may include oral or intravenous replacement of fluids/ electrolytes. Antibiotics may be needed for bacterial infections. Hospitalization is sometimes necessary. Was there specific advice that you were looking for. If yes, then please clarify and re-ask. ...Read more