Doctor insights on:
Flu Shot With Sickle Cell
This is a genetic disorder in which hemoglobin is abnormally made., more common in people of african descent. This abnormality causes red blood cells to become stiff and fall apart. This can cause very specific symptoms: pain, pneumonias, strokes, spleen problems, and many other problems. Some have mild disease, some ...Read more
Not other than flu: Sickle cell trait does not cause usual symptoms associated with sickle cell disease (homozygous sickle cell, hemglobin s-hemoglobin c disease, and sickle cell/beta thalassemia). However, sickle cell trait patients may experieince bloody urine, and at a high altitude (like in colorado), vaso-occulisve crisis may occur. This may also occur under extreme heat and stress. ...Read more
My white blood cell count is 3.8 thousand/uL, which is the bottom of the normal range. My age is 68. Should I be concerned about getting a flu shot?
3 influenza strains.: If you're asking about which strains, it contains the following 3 influenza strains for the 2011/2012 season: •a/california/7/2009 (h1n1)-like (same strain as was used for 2009 h1n1 monovalent vaccines) •a/perth/16/2009 (h3n2)-like •b/brisbane/60/2008-like. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Mid-Sep. to mid-Nov.: In the U.S., the best time to get a flu shot each fall is in October, which means September through November is fine. However, if one misses his shot at those times, it is still fine to get it anytime until the end of the flu season. The flu season ends at the end of winter (February-March). ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Same symptoms: The flu shot protects people about 85% of the time and mitigates the symptoms and complications so they would not be as severe as when there is no flu shot. There will still be body aches, fever, headache and some upper respiratory symptoms or even stomach symptoms but to a lesser intensity, that's relative as that is a measure in that specific person. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can a child with sickle cell disease get the flu vaccine?
- Can you take ibuprofen with a flu shot?
- Can you get sickle cell anemia by kissing or having sex with someone with it?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How is a baby born with the sickle cell trait when neither parents has it?
- Can people with sickle cell trait donate blood?
- What effect does altitude have on a person with sickle cell trait and why?
- Is there a developmental delay in children with sickle cell disease?
- Talk to a hematologist online for free