Doctor insights on:
First Choice Health Obesity Surgery
Depends on type 5-30: The failure rate for bariatric surgery depends on the type. For the band, we are seeing about 25-30% band removal at 7 years. Mostly due to reflux. For the bypass, only 1/1000 have reversal. All regain some weight. Most lose about 75% of excess weight but regain about 10%. About 15% regain more than 25%. For the sleeve, most lose about 70% of excess weight, but regain about 10% over 5 years. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
The definition started with Louis Israel Dublin, chief statistician of the Metropolitan life insurance company, in the early 1940s, as a BMI >25 (definitely >30) for people in their 20's based on retrospective observational life insurance data of the age at which people died later in life. This was subsequently adopted by the medical disease industry. However, BMI is ...Read more
Depends: Bypass is ideal for patients with severe gastric reflux or severe obesity or bad diabetes. Sleeve is great for moderate diabetes and mild reflux. Band is ok for thinner patients ( bmi < 40) who have minimal reflux, no diabetes, and good eating habits. Duodenal switch still too much malabsorption. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Varies by procedure : Always consider risks and benefits. For band, risk of slip (2%), erosion (1%), removal (25%). For sleeve, risk of leak (1%), acid reflux & heartburn (8%). For bypass , risk of leak (0.5%), ulcer (1%), stricture (4%), obstruction (1%). For all, risk of gallstones (5%), temporary bleeding 1%, leg/lung clot 1%. Overall, all are about as safe as taking out appendix. Most complications can be treated. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
I'm a obese 33female.Who's considering asking my dr about bariatric surgery.I'm 5'1 n 235lbs would I have2loose weight before they'd do surgery on me?
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- I need a dermatologist in nyc that accepts health first health insurance
- Does my health plus insurance cover gastric bypass surgery?
- Complications after a first rib resection surgery
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Does independent health cover gastric bypass surgery?
- Lasik or double eyelid surgery first
- How food choices can positively negatively affect your health?
- Health hazards of obesity
- Talk to a bariatrician online for free